
An Egyptian court Tuesday sentenced three members of a political party to three years in jail for campaigning for the boycott of last month's constitutional referendum, judicial sources said. The referendum was the first step in a roadmap outlined by Egypt's interim authorities for a return to democratic rule after Islamist president Mohamed Morsi was ousted by the military in July. The three members of the Strong Egypt party, founded by former presidential candidate and ex-Muslim Brotherhood member Abdelmoneim Abul Futuh, were also fined 500 Egyptian pounds each (around $70, 55 euros), the sources said. They were accused of being members of a "terrorist armed gang whose aim was to disturb public peace and security and disrupt the state's interests... and inciting citizens to boycott the constitution (referendum)," one of the sources said. The three accused, who were tried in absentia, can appeal the verdict and be granted a retrial if they surrender to authorities. They were briefly arrested in January in a northern Cairo neighbourhood for hanging posters in the streets calling on residents to boycott the referendum or vote against the constitution, the sources said. The new constitution -- which grants the military extensive powers but lacks much of the Islamist-inspired wording of the 2012 charter adopted under Morsi -- was approved by a 98.1 percent margin. The run-up to the referendum was marred by arrests of activists who campaigned against the new charter. Activists who spearheaded protests against Morsi and his predecessor Hosni Mubarak have repeatedly accused the military-installed authorities of resorting to autocratic measures. The government in November adopted a law banning all but police-sanctioned protests and several activists were handed jail sentences for organising or taking part in unlicensed demonstrations. A government crackdown on Islamist supporters of Morsi has left more than 1,400 people killed in street clashes since his ouster. Source: AFP
GMT 12:28 2018 Friday ,31 August
Algeria, reaffirm support to Sahrawi and Palestinian peoplesGMT 11:54 2018 Friday ,31 August
Second mine explodes in Mghilla 'Four soldiers wounded'GMT 11:30 2018 Friday ,31 August
UNSMIL condemns escalation of Violence in Great Tripoli areaGMT 11:15 2018 Friday ,31 August
Morocco, U.S Committed to Fighting Terrorism 'US Official'GMT 16:27 2018 Thursday ,30 August
PPS Considers Withdrawing from Ruling Coalition amid Tension with PJDGMT 15:34 2018 Thursday ,30 August
3 Bunkers, 4 homemade bombs discovered, destroyed in SkikdaGMT 15:10 2018 Thursday ,30 August
AU's Decision to Support UN-led Process, 'Big Win" for MoroccoGMT 12:47 2018 Thursday ,30 August
Cuba backed Polisario by providing military aid to Algeria
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor