The Board of Health shut down HoMei Seafood Restaurant on Concord Street yesterdayafter discovering it was serving possibly sick, illegally caught cod. The closing came after HoMei ignored a cease-and-desist order the board issued last week to stop slaughtering and serving the cod, lobster and other fish it keeps inside a large tank, Public Health Director Ethan Mascoop said. Inspectors issued the order after a customer complained about seeing a dead fish floating in the tank, Mascoop said. “They actually use those live fish for food,” Mascoop said. It appears the cod, which are from an unapproved source, are sick and undersized, which makes it illegally caught under Department of Fish and Game regulations, Mascoop said. “It’s not a violation of the code to have this kind of a setup,” Mascoop said. However, the restaurant didn’t have a variance from the town to slaughter and serve fish. “I wasn’t aware we need a license,” HoMei assistant manager Onkili Li said yesterday. He said customers like to pick their own fresh fish from the tank for the chefs to cook, and he didn’t realize it was a problem. The fish may look lethargic, he said, because the restaurant doesn’t feed them. “I never get sick myself,” Li said. A photo inspectors took shows a sickly looking cod with bulging white eyes swimming in a tank with another codfish. Restaurant owner Fay Mah and his family violated the cease-and-desist order by catching that second healthier looking one and preparing it for themselves, Mascoop said. As proof, they gave the Board of Health a photo of the family eating its meal. “They’re actually using the food establishment to prepare that meal,” Mascoop said. Mascoop said the “very egregious” problem with the cod is one of seven “critical” code violations inspectors found at the 509 Concord St. restaurant. “Filthy” work surfaces and inadequate sanitizing are two of the issues, inspectors said. “The manager and the owner are fully aware, and the establishment is closed until further notice,” Mascoop said. “They can obviously appeal for a hearing before the board.” Li said HoMei has fixed 90 percent of the problems and is hiring a food safety consultant to help with the rest. The health board closed the restaurant twice in 2010 when Mah ran it as Han Dynasty. Inspector Felix Zemel found five pages worth of code violations, including six critical problems, when he first inspected HoMei on Thursday. He found another two pages worth of problems, including another critical violation, when he went back Sunday afternoon.
GMT 18:35 2018 Thursday ,11 January
Syrian refugee sets himself ablaze at UN office in LebanonGMT 18:48 2018 Tuesday ,09 January
Novo Nordisk woos Belgian nano-drug makerGMT 17:54 2017 Wednesday ,27 December
Medical evacuations begin from besieged Syria rebel bastionGMT 12:14 2017 Monday ,25 December
MoHAP successfully conducts cochlear implant operationGMT 18:24 2017 Sunday ,24 December
Palestinian conjoined twins arrive in RiyadhGMT 19:05 2017 Monday ,18 December
new! magazine names fitness & food editorGMT 17:03 2017 Wednesday ,29 November
Spain reports case of 'mad cow disease'GMT 14:05 2017 Saturday ,11 November
EU can't agree on new licence for controversial glyphosate weedkiller
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor