Authorities in Somalia launched on Friday a campaign to tackle cholera which has infected about 60,000 in the country since the start of the year, the World Health Organisation said. The health ministry launched the initiative in the capital Mogadishu which aims to educate at least one person in every household on preventing the disease and what to do when symptoms occur. The WHO's Horn of Africa team said there had been 60,000 cases of cholera and acute watery diarrhoea (AWD) in south-central Somalia since January, with 75 percent of cases among children under five. In November alone there were 6,300 cases, the WHO's Christian Lindmeier told journalists in Geneva. Although endemic in Somalia, the last major outbreak of cholera was in 2007 and since then improved hygiene and sanitation had led to a drop in cases. Massive population movements this year has increased the risk of diseases spreading, Lindmeier said. Hundreds of thousands of Somalis have fled the country in search of refuge in neighbouring states amid the Horn of Africa's worst drought in decades.
GMT 18:35 2018 Thursday ,11 January
Syrian refugee sets himself ablaze at UN office in LebanonGMT 18:48 2018 Tuesday ,09 January
Novo Nordisk woos Belgian nano-drug makerGMT 17:54 2017 Wednesday ,27 December
Medical evacuations begin from besieged Syria rebel bastionGMT 12:14 2017 Monday ,25 December
MoHAP successfully conducts cochlear implant operationGMT 18:24 2017 Sunday ,24 December
Palestinian conjoined twins arrive in RiyadhGMT 19:05 2017 Monday ,18 December
new! magazine names fitness & food editorGMT 17:03 2017 Wednesday ,29 November
Spain reports case of 'mad cow disease'GMT 14:05 2017 Saturday ,11 November
EU can't agree on new licence for controversial glyphosate weedkiller
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor