A bomb attack killed 11 women and children from two families, destroying their vehicle in southern Afghanistan, officials said Saturday. The device planted on the side of the road struck their minivan on Friday afternoon in Gereshk district of Helmand province, one of the toughest battlegrounds in a 10-year Taliban insurgency. "Five women and a child from one family, and four women and two children from another family were killed in the blast," the Helmand governor's spokesman, Daud Ahmadi, told AFP. Ahmadi later clarified that eight women, not nine, were killed, along with two children aged seven to 12, and a third child under seven. He identified a 12th victim as a young man in his 20s who was driving the minibus. There was no immediate claim of responsibility, but Ahmadi blamed enemies of Afghanistan for the blast, a term used by Afghan officials to refer to Taliban insurgents. Farid Ahmad Farhang, Helmand police spokesman, confirmed the death toll. Roadside bomb attacks are the weapon of choice for Taliban insurgents fighting to overthrow the Western-backed government of President Hamid Karzai. Explosives are frequently planted to target NATO and government forces, but civilians are often the victims. The United Nations says that of the 1,145 civilians killed in the war in the first six months of this year, 80 percent were killed by insurgents and more than half by roadside bombs. The US-led NATO force has 112,579 troops left in Afghanistan helping the government to fight the Taliban, according to its website. The Pentagon said last week that there are 77,000 US troops in the country.
GMT 12:28 2018 Friday ,31 August
Algeria, reaffirm support to Sahrawi and Palestinian peoplesGMT 11:54 2018 Friday ,31 August
Second mine explodes in Mghilla 'Four soldiers wounded'GMT 11:30 2018 Friday ,31 August
UNSMIL condemns escalation of Violence in Great Tripoli areaGMT 11:15 2018 Friday ,31 August
Morocco, U.S Committed to Fighting Terrorism 'US Official'GMT 16:27 2018 Thursday ,30 August
PPS Considers Withdrawing from Ruling Coalition amid Tension with PJDGMT 15:34 2018 Thursday ,30 August
3 Bunkers, 4 homemade bombs discovered, destroyed in SkikdaGMT 15:10 2018 Thursday ,30 August
AU's Decision to Support UN-led Process, 'Big Win" for MoroccoGMT 12:47 2018 Thursday ,30 August
Cuba backed Polisario by providing military aid to Algeria
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor