Former premier Ahmed Shafiq, who left Egypt amid a corruption probe after losing to Mohammed Morsi in a bitterly fought presidential election, has been placed on a watchlist and given a travel ban, judicial sources said on Wednesday. Shafiq, a former air force chief appointed prime minister by president Hosni Mubarak before his overthrow early last year, is under investigation for an allegedly illegal sale of state land to Mubarak's sons. He travelled to the United Arab Emirates after losing to his Islamist nemesis Morsi in June's election. Shafiq's spokesman said at the time that he would return to Egypt and form a party. A source said it was unclear what would happen to Shafiq if he returned. In the past, people placed on the watchlist have been detained on arrival. A number of former regime officials, including Mubarak himself, have been convicted of corruption or killing protesters during the 18-day uprising that unseated the dictator.Egyptian Public Prosecutor Abdel Meguid Mahmoud made the announcement, while judge Osama al-Saidi, who had been tasked by the Justice Ministry to investigate Shafiq, released the results of his investigation. Alaa and Gamal Mubarak, the two sons of the former president, were earlier arrested on suspicion of having taken possession of 40.238 square metres of association-owned land at knock-down rates. Mubarak's party leader and senate speaker Safwat al-Sharif was on Wednesday meanwhile eferred to trial along with his two sons for allegedly making 600 million pounds (roughly $100 million) in illicit gains. The head of Egypt's Illicit Gain Authority Assem al-Gohary ordered the suspects to return LE300 million worth of ill-gained wealth and imposed a fine of the same amount Sharif, one of the linchpins of the regime of ousted president Hosni Mubarak, served as the NDP's general secretary from 2002 until his removal during the 25 January revolution. He had also served for a period as information minister. Sharif, along with other 23 former regime figures, is also standing trial before the Cairo Criminal Court on charges of orchestrating a bloody attack by horse and camel riders against pro-democracy protesters in Tahrir Square on 2-3 February, known as the "Battle of the Camel." Gohary also ordered the arrest and detention of Ashraf, for whom Interpol had issued an arrest warrant. Investigations had revealed that Ashraf owned plots of land, real estate and corporate stocks that do not match his legal sources of gain, as well as more than commercial and television production companies. A member of the Illicit Gains Authority saidSharif’s exploitation of his position resulted in his acquisition of a number of properties across the country, including agricultural fields, villas, apartments as well as a plot of land in the Bitter Lakes, that is also known as the "Ministers Tongue", where he built a luxurious apartment. According to recent investigations, al-Sherif was helped by the Ismailia governor at that time, Abdel Moneim Amara, and signed the land under the name of his wife, who received it as a gift worth 3.5 million EGP. Investigations also revealed that both of Sharif's sons abused their father's influence to gain advantages with the state TV and press organisations, including advertising discounts and setting the screening schedule for commercials. Sharif will also have to respond to the charges of orchestrating the killing of pro-democracy protesters in Tahrir Square on 2-3 February, in the repression known as the "Battle of the Camel."
GMT 12:28 2018 Friday ,31 August
Algeria, reaffirm support to Sahrawi and Palestinian peoplesGMT 11:54 2018 Friday ,31 August
Second mine explodes in Mghilla 'Four soldiers wounded'GMT 11:30 2018 Friday ,31 August
UNSMIL condemns escalation of Violence in Great Tripoli areaGMT 11:15 2018 Friday ,31 August
Morocco, U.S Committed to Fighting Terrorism 'US Official'GMT 16:27 2018 Thursday ,30 August
PPS Considers Withdrawing from Ruling Coalition amid Tension with PJDGMT 15:34 2018 Thursday ,30 August
3 Bunkers, 4 homemade bombs discovered, destroyed in SkikdaGMT 15:10 2018 Thursday ,30 August
AU's Decision to Support UN-led Process, 'Big Win" for MoroccoGMT 12:47 2018 Thursday ,30 August
Cuba backed Polisario by providing military aid to Algeria
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor