Unknown gunmen shot dead a south Yemen separatist on Sunday when they fired at a protest camp in the port city of Aden, an activist said.The attack took place while security forces arrested two Al-Qaeda suspects, eight days after a deadly attack on the intelligence headquarters in the city. "Gunmen fired from a car at the camp of the (Southern) Movement, killing one of the activists," Nizar al-Saadi told AFP. He said that protesters camping in Al-Mansura neighbourhood "blocked the road" in retaliation. Yemen's southern separatists have for decades complained of marginalisation by Sanaa. Although the movement remains fractured, it demands autonomy and in some cases independence. South Yemen was a separate nation before unification with the north in 1990. Meanwhile, two suspected Al-Qaeda militants were arrested in a raid on a house where they were hiding, said a security official. The raid took place "near the intelligence headquarters" where 19 soldiers had been killed in an August 18 rocket attack which the authorities blamed on Al-Qaeda. "There was an exchange of gunfire during (Sunday's) raid but no one was hurt," the official said, requesting anonymity. Yemeni security forces have been on heightened alert since the intelligence headquarters attack. Six other suspected militants were arrested on Thursday and Friday. Al-Qaeda loyalists have carried out a spate of deadly attacks against the Yemeni security forces and their militia allies since President Abdrabuh Mansur Hadi came to power earlier this year pledging to crush the militants. Al-Qaeda had taken advantage of a nearly year-long uprising against Hadi's predecessor, veteran strongman Ali Abdullah Saleh, to seize large swathes of the south and east. In an all-out offensive launched in May, the army retook a string of towns in Abyan province, which neighbours Aden to the east.
GMT 12:28 2018 Friday ,31 August
Algeria, reaffirm support to Sahrawi and Palestinian peoplesGMT 11:54 2018 Friday ,31 August
Second mine explodes in Mghilla 'Four soldiers wounded'GMT 11:30 2018 Friday ,31 August
UNSMIL condemns escalation of Violence in Great Tripoli areaGMT 11:15 2018 Friday ,31 August
Morocco, U.S Committed to Fighting Terrorism 'US Official'GMT 16:27 2018 Thursday ,30 August
PPS Considers Withdrawing from Ruling Coalition amid Tension with PJDGMT 15:34 2018 Thursday ,30 August
3 Bunkers, 4 homemade bombs discovered, destroyed in SkikdaGMT 15:10 2018 Thursday ,30 August
AU's Decision to Support UN-led Process, 'Big Win" for MoroccoGMT 12:47 2018 Thursday ,30 August
Cuba backed Polisario by providing military aid to Algeria
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor