An Iraqi court will next month hear concluding remarks from prosecutors and the defence team in the death squad trial of fugitive Vice President Tareq al-Hashemi, a judge said on Tuesday. The trial, which began in May, has been over the assassinations of two security officials and a lawyer, the first of around 150 charges levelled against Hashemi and his bodyguards. A statement posted on the vice president's website on August 10 said he was in Doha, Qatar. He is being tried in absentia. "We decided to postpone the trial until September 9, after we heard the testimony of all the defendants, and the next session will be for the prosecutor and the defence team (to present their closing remarks)," said the judge presiding over the case. Hashemi, one of the country's most senior Sunni officials, has dismissed all the charges against him as politically motivated, and the accusations have raised sectarian tensions when the accusations were first made by Iraq's Shiite-led government. He fled to Iraq's autonomous Kurdistan region when the charges were made in December, as US troops were pulling out of the country. The trial, which began May 15, has previously heard testimony that silenced pistols were found in raids on Hashemi's house and that of his son-in-law, while bodyguards and other officials say they were offered money, or were coerced, into carrying out attacks on the vice president's orders. After fleeing to Kurdistan, which refused to hand him over, Hashemi embarked on a regional tour that took him to Qatar, Saudi Arabia and Turkey.
GMT 12:28 2018 Friday ,31 August
Algeria, reaffirm support to Sahrawi and Palestinian peoplesGMT 11:54 2018 Friday ,31 August
Second mine explodes in Mghilla 'Four soldiers wounded'GMT 11:30 2018 Friday ,31 August
UNSMIL condemns escalation of Violence in Great Tripoli areaGMT 11:15 2018 Friday ,31 August
Morocco, U.S Committed to Fighting Terrorism 'US Official'GMT 16:27 2018 Thursday ,30 August
PPS Considers Withdrawing from Ruling Coalition amid Tension with PJDGMT 15:34 2018 Thursday ,30 August
3 Bunkers, 4 homemade bombs discovered, destroyed in SkikdaGMT 15:10 2018 Thursday ,30 August
AU's Decision to Support UN-led Process, 'Big Win" for MoroccoGMT 12:47 2018 Thursday ,30 August
Cuba backed Polisario by providing military aid to Algeria
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor