Kurdish separatist group PKK denied responsibility for a bombing in Turkey yesterday that killed nine people. The announcement by the group means the perpetrators behind the bombing remain unknown. The Turkish government initially blamed the Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) for Monday's explosion in the southeast Turkey town of Gaziantep, which officials said was triggered by remote control. "Our fighters have nothing to do with this explosion," Firat News, a website known to be close to the PKK, cited the group saying in a statement. The PKK is listed as a "terrorist organisation" by Turkey, the European Union and the United States, among others. Several Turkish officials indicated Monday that they believed the PKK was responsible for the blast. Violence has plagued Turkey's volatile southeast, where Kurdish separatist have been clashing on-and-off with the Turkish military since 1984. About 45,000 people have died as a result of the fighting. Gaziantep, located about 50km(30 miles) from the border with Syria, had previously been spared the brunt of the violence that has wracked the region. While the exact perpetrators remain unknown, focus swiftly turned to the Kurdistan Freedom Hawks (TAK), a group similar to the PKK that in the past has carried out attacks outside the PKK's normal area of operation. No hard evidence could immediately link the group to the bombing, however. In addition to the nine killed, including four children, some 69 people were wounded in the blast. On Wednesday, Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan is due to visit Gaziantep to survey the damage, said deputy prime minister Besir Atalay.
GMT 12:28 2018 Friday ,31 August
Algeria, reaffirm support to Sahrawi and Palestinian peoplesGMT 11:54 2018 Friday ,31 August
Second mine explodes in Mghilla 'Four soldiers wounded'GMT 11:30 2018 Friday ,31 August
UNSMIL condemns escalation of Violence in Great Tripoli areaGMT 11:15 2018 Friday ,31 August
Morocco, U.S Committed to Fighting Terrorism 'US Official'GMT 16:27 2018 Thursday ,30 August
PPS Considers Withdrawing from Ruling Coalition amid Tension with PJDGMT 15:34 2018 Thursday ,30 August
3 Bunkers, 4 homemade bombs discovered, destroyed in SkikdaGMT 15:10 2018 Thursday ,30 August
AU's Decision to Support UN-led Process, 'Big Win" for MoroccoGMT 12:47 2018 Thursday ,30 August
Cuba backed Polisario by providing military aid to Algeria
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor