Militant jihadists attacked an Egyptian security outpost in the Sinai peninsula Monday evening, security sources and witnesses have informed Arabstoday. The post near Al-Arish was attacked with light and heavy machine guns, hours before the start of a new extended security operation, in the desert of Sheikh Zuwaid as part of an Egyptian military campaign, Operation "Nisr" (Eagle) to cleanse the area of militants. Sources said: "Militants on board SUV trucks fired at the checkpoint in Risah located on the international Arish-Rafah road, while security officers replied to the fire". The militants then targeted the barrier on the International South Road and mountainous areas surrounding it. Egyptian troops replied forcefully against them, causing them to flee. The attack came hours after a visit by Egypt's new Defence Minister General Abdul Fattah al-Sisi. "This ambush was the 31st instance of militants opening fire on security forces since the Egyptian revolution [that ousted president Hosni Mubarak]," said the source. In related news, security forces on Monday arrested 52 wanted criminals during a joint security operation of the army and the police. Egypt began an extensive military campaign in the volatile peninsula, with shares a border with Israel and the Gaza Strip, after an attack o border outpost near the Rafah border crossing killed 16 Egyptian soldiers earlier this month.
GMT 12:28 2018 Friday ,31 August
Algeria, reaffirm support to Sahrawi and Palestinian peoplesGMT 11:54 2018 Friday ,31 August
Second mine explodes in Mghilla 'Four soldiers wounded'GMT 11:30 2018 Friday ,31 August
UNSMIL condemns escalation of Violence in Great Tripoli areaGMT 11:15 2018 Friday ,31 August
Morocco, U.S Committed to Fighting Terrorism 'US Official'GMT 16:27 2018 Thursday ,30 August
PPS Considers Withdrawing from Ruling Coalition amid Tension with PJDGMT 15:34 2018 Thursday ,30 August
3 Bunkers, 4 homemade bombs discovered, destroyed in SkikdaGMT 15:10 2018 Thursday ,30 August
AU's Decision to Support UN-led Process, 'Big Win" for MoroccoGMT 12:47 2018 Thursday ,30 August
Cuba backed Polisario by providing military aid to Algeria
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor