Suspected Al-Qaeda militants killed 19 soldiers in a rocket attack and suicide bombing on Saturday that targeted intelligence headquarters in the main southern city of Aden, a security official said. "The death toll has increased to 19 soldiers while nine soldiers and three civilians were wounded," the official told AFP. A medical source confirmed the toll. The security official had said earlier that three soldiers were killed by a "car bomb driven by (a) suicide bomber into the courtyard of the intelligence building," while the others were killed in a rocket and gun attack. "The attack is the work of Al-Qaeda elements," he said, requesting anonymity. The same official had said that masked gunmen "used machineguns and rocket-propelled grenades" in the attack in the Tawahi coastal neighbourhood of Aden. The militants attacked in two groups, with one targeting the south side of the complex and the other attacking the west side, next to the state television building. The official said that many of the soldiers were asleep when the militants hurled hand grenades into their room. Nine soldiers were wounded, and three television employees, among them two women, were also hurt, he said. The militants managed to escape. Witnesses said they saw two armoured vehicles on fire at the gate of the television offices. Al-Qaeda militants remain active in southern Yemen, where separatist militants also attack security forces, pressing their demands for renewed independence for the south. South Yemen was a separate state before unification with the north in 1990.
GMT 12:28 2018 Friday ,31 August
Algeria, reaffirm support to Sahrawi and Palestinian peoplesGMT 11:54 2018 Friday ,31 August
Second mine explodes in Mghilla 'Four soldiers wounded'GMT 11:30 2018 Friday ,31 August
UNSMIL condemns escalation of Violence in Great Tripoli areaGMT 11:15 2018 Friday ,31 August
Morocco, U.S Committed to Fighting Terrorism 'US Official'GMT 16:27 2018 Thursday ,30 August
PPS Considers Withdrawing from Ruling Coalition amid Tension with PJDGMT 15:34 2018 Thursday ,30 August
3 Bunkers, 4 homemade bombs discovered, destroyed in SkikdaGMT 15:10 2018 Thursday ,30 August
AU's Decision to Support UN-led Process, 'Big Win" for MoroccoGMT 12:47 2018 Thursday ,30 August
Cuba backed Polisario by providing military aid to Algeria
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor