Hundreds of Yemeni soldiers have abandoned their posts in the south in protest at a decision by President Abrabuh Mansur Hadi to restructure the armed forces, a military source told AFP on Wednesday. They were protesting against a decision to incorporate into the southern military command the second infantry brigade of the Republican Guard led by the elder son of former president Ali Abdullah Saleh, the official said on condition of anonymity. On Monday, state media reported that Hadi had ordered a restructuring of army forces, reducing the number of units under the command of rival chiefs including Saleh's son. In a presidential decree, Hadi ordered the formation of a "Presidential Protection" force which will include three brigades from the Republican Guard, official news agency Saba reported. The force will also include a brigade from the First Armoured Division led by General Ali Mohsen al-Ahmar who defected to the anti-Saleh opposition last year, Saba said. Hadi assigned other brigades from the two rival units to the central and southern regions, it added. On Wednesday, the military source said hundreds of soldiers and non-commissioned officers had begun leaving on Tuesday their camp and checkpoints in Loder in the southern province of Abyan, the scene of a recent campaign against Al-Qaeda-linked militants. Most of the mutineers belong to tribes from the Sanaa region. Yemen is undergoing a political transition after a year-long uprising unseated the veteran Saleh and left the economy of the Arabian peninsula's poorest country in shambles. On June 23, Yemeni troops seized Al-Qaeda's last bastion in the troubled southern and eastern provinces after a month-long offensive aimed at ousting the jihadists from territory they had controlled for about a year. Taking advantage of a central government weakened by last year's Arab Spring-inspired uprising, the militants had overrun most of Abyan province, capturing its capital Zinjibar, towns like Jaar, Shuqra and several other villages.
GMT 12:28 2018 Friday ,31 August
Algeria, reaffirm support to Sahrawi and Palestinian peoplesGMT 11:54 2018 Friday ,31 August
Second mine explodes in Mghilla 'Four soldiers wounded'GMT 11:30 2018 Friday ,31 August
UNSMIL condemns escalation of Violence in Great Tripoli areaGMT 11:15 2018 Friday ,31 August
Morocco, U.S Committed to Fighting Terrorism 'US Official'GMT 16:27 2018 Thursday ,30 August
PPS Considers Withdrawing from Ruling Coalition amid Tension with PJDGMT 15:34 2018 Thursday ,30 August
3 Bunkers, 4 homemade bombs discovered, destroyed in SkikdaGMT 15:10 2018 Thursday ,30 August
AU's Decision to Support UN-led Process, 'Big Win" for MoroccoGMT 12:47 2018 Thursday ,30 August
Cuba backed Polisario by providing military aid to Algeria
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor