Suspected Al Qaeda militants early yesterday blew up a pipeline pumping liquefied gas to Yemen’s southern Balhaf export terminal, causing a complete halt in operations, security officials said. The gunmen blew up the gas pipeline “at Station 5, in the village of Zahira, in the Shabwa province”, said provincial security chief brigadier general Ahmed Omeir. He said the attack took place around 1am yesterday. Another security official accused Al Qaeda militants, who remain active in the region, of being behind the attack. “The attack is the work of Al Qaeda, which continues to be operative in the province,” he said, requesting anonymity. Witnesses said that dozens of villagers fled their houses due to a raging fire caused by the explosion. France’s Total has an almost 40% interest in the Balhaf plant. The 320km pipeline linking Marib province to Balhaf, in Yemen’s mostly lawless south, has been repeatedly sabotaged by Al Qaeda militants. On May 13, the pipeline was blown up near Mayfaa, also in Shabwa, nearly three weeks after it was sabotaged on April 26, shortly after it was repaired following a similar March attack. Yemen began exporting liquefied natural gas from Balhaf in 2009. In May, a French security official working for Total was wounded and a Yemeni soldier killed when gunmen attacked their car in Sayun in the eastern province of Hadramout. Al Qaeda’s branch in Yemen has exploited the decline in central government control that accompanied Arab Spring-inspired protests that eventually forced president Ali Abdullah Saleh to cede power in February. Al Qaeda fighters had captured Zinjibar, Jaar, Shuqra and other towns across Abyan province, but government forces in May launched an all-out offensive and recaptured the towns the following month. Suspected Islamist militants fought security guards at an intelligence headquarters in the southern port city of Aden on Monday night, two days after 14 people were killed in an attack on the same building. The assailants fired machineguns from a nearby hill overlooking the building and the state television headquarters next to it, a local official and residents said. Guards responded but no one was hurt. Suspected Al Qaeda-linked militants killed at least 14 Yemeni soldiers and security guards on Saturday in a car bomb and grenade attack on the intelligence service headquarters. A security official said yesterday that a car used in the attack had been found and one suspect arrested.
GMT 12:28 2018 Friday ,31 August
Algeria, reaffirm support to Sahrawi and Palestinian peoplesGMT 11:54 2018 Friday ,31 August
Second mine explodes in Mghilla 'Four soldiers wounded'GMT 11:30 2018 Friday ,31 August
UNSMIL condemns escalation of Violence in Great Tripoli areaGMT 11:15 2018 Friday ,31 August
Morocco, U.S Committed to Fighting Terrorism 'US Official'GMT 16:27 2018 Thursday ,30 August
PPS Considers Withdrawing from Ruling Coalition amid Tension with PJDGMT 15:34 2018 Thursday ,30 August
3 Bunkers, 4 homemade bombs discovered, destroyed in SkikdaGMT 15:10 2018 Thursday ,30 August
AU's Decision to Support UN-led Process, 'Big Win" for MoroccoGMT 12:47 2018 Thursday ,30 August
Cuba backed Polisario by providing military aid to Algeria
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor