
General Motors Co. repeated its opposition to the sale of the Swedish automaker Saab to a group of Chinese investors. GM spokesman James Cain said the company remains opposed to the deal as structured and insisted no deal can move forward without GM's approval. "Saab's various new alternative proposals are not meaningfully different from what was originally proposed to General Motors and rejected," the spokesman said. "Each proposal results either directly or indirectly in the transfer of control and/or ownership of the company in a manner that would be detrimental to GM and its shareholders. As such, GM cannot support any of these proposed alternatives." Various new proposals that have been floated by Saab in recent days, including statements that inaccurately suggest that the consent of GM is not required for them to move forward, said Cain. Saab continues to cling to life, but it is facing some long odds in its continuing battle for survival. The company received some good news Tuesday when its new Chinese partners transferred cash to Saab's corporate accounts. The amount wasn't disclosed, but the transfer allowed the Swedish automaker to pay some bills, a Saab spokeswoman said. "We remain optimistic and are hopeful a resolution will be reached by the end of the week," said Saab spokeswoman Michele Tinson. Saab has struggled since last spring when it was forced to shut down its production plant in Trollhattan, Sweden, following a dispute over payment with a supplier. The dispute cut off production of Saab 9-5, which the company was counting on to generate cash. Up until now, Victor Muller, the Dutch businessman who purchased Saab from General Motors in early 2010, has kept the Swedish automobile company alive through persistence and sheer will power. However, the Swedish judge supervising Saab's bankruptcy proceedings could suspend the court action, forcing Saab into liquidation and spelling the end of efforts to rescue the company. Saab's chances of survival also suffered a serious blow earlier this month when General Motors said it would not sanction any deal with Chinese investors. GM fears intellectual property in Saab's hands, which originated from GM, could be transferred illicitly to other Chinese companies. GM has also cut off production of one of the vehicles Saab was counting on for its comeback, the Saab 94-X crossover, which was scheduled to be built at a GM assembly plant in Ramos Arizpe, Mexico.
GMT 15:26 2017 Friday ,22 December
VW sacks executive jailed over 'dieselgate': reportGMT 12:54 2017 Friday ,22 December
Baidu accuses former exec of stealing self-driving car technologyGMT 17:41 2017 Wednesday ,06 December
UK car sales extend slump: industry bodyGMT 14:49 2017 Sunday ,19 November
US rejects Ford petition to delay recall of 3m vehiclesGMT 19:06 2017 Wednesday ,08 November
BMW revs research spending higher, profits fishtailGMT 10:33 2017 Tuesday ,24 October
Singapore to freeze number of cars on its roadsGMT 13:26 2017 Tuesday ,17 October
Tesla sacks hundreds of workers on Model 3 stall: sourceGMT 21:18 2017 Saturday ,07 October
Tesla delays big rig truck debut; Model 3 in ‘production hell’
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor