
Lamborghini could launch an SUV in 2017, CEO Stephan Winkelmann told a German newspaper. The Italian supercar brand will unveil a concept for the vehicle at the Beijing auto show on April 23 to test public reaction, according to a report in the German business daily Handelsblatt today. Winkelmann wants the SUV as a third model line along with the Gallardo and Aventador super cars to help make the brand profitable, Handelsblatt said. China is a key market for high-margin luxury SUVs. "We definitely need a third line in the mid- and long term," Winkelmann told the paper. "An SUV would be the first Lamborghini for everyday use, not just for the race track or weekends. We would have the opportunity to win new customers." Lamborghini has been loss-making since 2009 and is under pressure from parent Volkswagen Group to become profitable, Handelsblatt said. Winkelmann told the paper that he hopes that parent VW will decide this year whether to allow the brand to build an SUV. "It usually takes 48 months until an all-new vehicle arrives at dealers, so the new Lamborghini would not be available to buy before 2017." The paper quoted company sources as saying the decision is certain to be positive. If the car is approved for production, Lamborghini would join VW stablemate Bentley in diversifying into the growing super-luxury SUV market. Both brands will be able to call on a new version of the VW Group platform that currently underpins the Audi Q7, VW Touareg and Porsche Cayenne. Bentley is planning to launch within three years an SUV based on the EXP 9 F SUV concept first shown at the Geneva auto show in March. Next year, Fiat's Maserati brand will launch sales of a production version of the Kubang concept unveiled at the 2011 Frankfurt auto show. Lamborghini is expected to use its own engines for its SUV, most likely a revamped version of the Gallardo's V10 gasoline unit. Last year, Lamborghini sold 1,602 cars globally, an increase of 23 percent on the previous year. China is the brand's second-biggest market after the United States. The UK is next, followed by Germany and Italy.
GMT 15:26 2017 Friday ,22 December
VW sacks executive jailed over 'dieselgate': reportGMT 12:54 2017 Friday ,22 December
Baidu accuses former exec of stealing self-driving car technologyGMT 17:41 2017 Wednesday ,06 December
UK car sales extend slump: industry bodyGMT 14:49 2017 Sunday ,19 November
US rejects Ford petition to delay recall of 3m vehiclesGMT 19:06 2017 Wednesday ,08 November
BMW revs research spending higher, profits fishtailGMT 10:33 2017 Tuesday ,24 October
Singapore to freeze number of cars on its roadsGMT 13:26 2017 Tuesday ,17 October
Tesla sacks hundreds of workers on Model 3 stall: sourceGMT 21:18 2017 Saturday ,07 October
Tesla delays big rig truck debut; Model 3 in ‘production hell’
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor