
Russian billionaire Mikhail Prokhorov's auto division announced Monday it was delaying until late 2014 this year's planned launch of the petrol-guzzling country's first hybrid vehicle. But it also insisted the "Yo Mobile" was never meant to be a publicity stunt to win the politically ambitious tycoon votes in this spring's presidential elections, and promised the colourful new cars would still get built. "Many detractors will now say that this was just a Mikhail Prokhorov PR campaign," project general director Andrei Biryukov told the Interfax news agency after tendering his resignation because of the delay. "But this is not the case and he continues to fund the joint venture." Biryukov blamed the delay on a US supplier he did not name that was responsible for providing body parts.The eye-catching little vehicles were designed to introduce a fresh new look to Russian streets now clogged with remnants of exhaust-fuming Soviet-era makes and huge SUVs and luxury sedans from the United States and Germany. Russian President Vladimir Putin drove one of the cars to a government meeting while serving as prime minister in April 2011 and joked that it did not look very tough. "The Yo-Mobile will not fall apart along the way, will it?" Putin asked with a grin at the time. But the project also supported Prokhorov's bid to build a more modern image as an oligarch who tries to connect with youth through his ownership of the NBA's Brooklyn Nets basketball team and occasional support for liberal Russian causes. The 47-year-old -- last estimated to be worth more than $12 billion by Forbes magazine -- placed a strong third in the March presidential ballot with a surprising eight percent of the vote. His campaign came during a wave of street protests against Putin's impending return to the Kremlin and Prokhorov styled himself as a compromise figure who would introduce more liberal economic ideas. He has largely shunned politics since and is still in the process of forming his own political party while refusing to criticise Putin directly. Business daily Kommersant said the joint venture between Prokhorov's Oneximbank bank and a small truck manufacturer called Yarovit Motors had already invested 80 million euros ($100 million) in the vehicle's Saint Petersburg production plant.
GMT 15:26 2017 Friday ,22 December
VW sacks executive jailed over 'dieselgate': reportGMT 12:54 2017 Friday ,22 December
Baidu accuses former exec of stealing self-driving car technologyGMT 17:41 2017 Wednesday ,06 December
UK car sales extend slump: industry bodyGMT 14:49 2017 Sunday ,19 November
US rejects Ford petition to delay recall of 3m vehiclesGMT 19:06 2017 Wednesday ,08 November
BMW revs research spending higher, profits fishtailGMT 10:33 2017 Tuesday ,24 October
Singapore to freeze number of cars on its roadsGMT 13:26 2017 Tuesday ,17 October
Tesla sacks hundreds of workers on Model 3 stall: sourceGMT 21:18 2017 Saturday ,07 October
Tesla delays big rig truck debut; Model 3 in ‘production hell’
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor