
A court on Friday indicted the head of one of Uruguay's topbanks and its former economy minister on abuse of power charges linked to thecollapse in 2012 of the country's national airline.A judge said former economy minister Fernando Lorenzo and the current presidentof the Bank of the Republic, Fernando Calloia, would be allowed to remain freepending the start of trial.At a hearing in Montevideo, Prosecutor Juan Gomez said both men exceeded theirauthority by giving Spanish airline Cosmo a deal in October 2012 that allowed it topurchase aircraft belonging to struggling Pluna Airlines, the flag carrier of Uruguay.The arrangement allegedly was offered without determining that sufficientmeasures had been undertaken to rescue the bankrupt airline, among other"irregularities" charged by prosecutors.Cosmo was the only company to submit a bid to purchase planes belonging to Plunafor a discounted price of $13.6 million, officials said.Lorenzo resigned his post last December, after being appearing at a pretrial hearingrelated to the charges.
GMT 19:30 2018 Wednesday ,03 January
EU launches last crisis-battling finance reformGMT 17:13 2017 Thursday ,14 December
South Korea bans its banks from dealing in BitcoinGMT 19:16 2017 Monday ,11 December
Britain’s smaller banks jostle for business banking grantsGMT 19:31 2017 Sunday ,10 December
Britain’s smaller banks jostle for business banking grantsGMT 17:28 2017 Thursday ,07 December
India's central bank holds rates at seven-year lowGMT 17:55 2017 Sunday ,03 December
Saudi banks prepare for riyal coinsGMT 15:10 2017 Wednesday ,29 November
Societe Generale shares climb after cost-cutting planGMT 19:22 2017 Friday ,17 November
Deutsche Boerse taps top banker as new CEO
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor