
US authorities are seeking several billion dollars from BNP Paribas to settle a probe into whether it violated US sanctions on several countries, the Wall Street Journal reported late Wednesday. The total would be higher than what had been estimated in press reports said far. The bank has told the French government it may be hit with fines exceeding three billion dollars, the Journal said. The Financial Times has said the figure could be in excess of 3.5 billion dollars. But US officials are pushing the bank to pay billions more than the figure cited by BNP Paribas, the Journal said, quoting people with direct knowledge of the matter. US prosecutors say that between 2002 and 2009 the bank violated US sanctions by doing business with Iran, Sudan and Cuba. BNP chief executive Jean-Laurent Bonnafe, who came to the US last week to defend the bank, said Wednesday he was confident it could settle the affair.
GMT 19:30 2018 Wednesday ,03 January
EU launches last crisis-battling finance reformGMT 17:13 2017 Thursday ,14 December
South Korea bans its banks from dealing in BitcoinGMT 19:16 2017 Monday ,11 December
Britain’s smaller banks jostle for business banking grantsGMT 19:31 2017 Sunday ,10 December
Britain’s smaller banks jostle for business banking grantsGMT 17:28 2017 Thursday ,07 December
India's central bank holds rates at seven-year lowGMT 17:55 2017 Sunday ,03 December
Saudi banks prepare for riyal coinsGMT 15:10 2017 Wednesday ,29 November
Societe Generale shares climb after cost-cutting planGMT 19:22 2017 Friday ,17 November
Deutsche Boerse taps top banker as new CEO
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor