A Kenyan court on Monday charged a man with the murder of a British holidaymaker and the kidnap of his wife, while staying in a luxury beach resort in the east African country. But Ali Babitu Kololo denied the accusations that he murdered David Tebbutt and worked with gunmen to abduct his wife Judith in the early hours of September 11, and who is now believed to be held in Somalia. "My client is innocent until proven guilty, and I pray to this court that my client be given bail," said Kololo's lawyer George Wakohiu. The Tebbutts, from Bishop's Stortford in Herfordshire, were the only guests at the Kiwayu Safari Village, which is just 40 kilometres (25 miles) from the Somali border. Local residents said Kololo had worked as a night watchman at the remote resort, and was forced by the gunmen to show them where the tourists were staying. They argue he was used by the armed gang and was not part of the main group. "It was a case of mistaken of identity and my client is innocent. Let this court consider my client's pleas of innocence," added the lawyer. The court denied him bail, and he is due to reappear for a hearing on October 25. A second man is being held by police and is expected to appear before the court later this week. On Sunday residents of the Somalia's north-central town of Harardhere said the kidnapped Briton had been brought to a nearby Islamist-controlled village. The Islamist Shebab rebels who control much of southern Somalia last week declined to comment on the kidnap. The militiamen last year took control of Harardhere, once a notorious pirate hideout, and vowed to end the crime.
GMT 18:11 2017 Wednesday ,27 December
Foreign tourist numbers up 23% in Tunisia in 2017GMT 18:14 2017 Monday ,25 December
Riyadh tourism events attract over 200,000 visitors in 2017GMT 10:29 2017 Monday ,25 December
Abu Dhabi welcomes 443,000 hotel guests to record 16 percent rise during NovemberGMT 09:57 2017 Sunday ,24 December
World's largest amphibious aircraft takes off in ChinaGMT 18:03 2017 Saturday ,23 December
Four bidders vie for Austria's bankrupt Niki airlineGMT 11:08 2017 Friday ,22 December
First Ryanair strike sees delays, but no cancellations in GermanyGMT 18:06 2017 Saturday ,16 December
Israel strike to stop flights at Ben Gurion airportGMT 17:35 2017 Thursday ,14 December
TUI says new direction paying off despite profit slump
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor