Australian police Friday confirmed they were investigating alleged death threats against Qantas chief executive Alan Joyce, as the airline's passengers faced more disruption due to a strike row. Qantas revealed this week that Joyce had received a death threat, managers had been sent menacing letters and strike-breaking workers bullied as the carrier attempts to refocus its business towards Asia. The airline did not detail the threats against Irish-born Joyce but the letter reportedly read: "It's coming soon Paddy. You can't even see it." Joyce, who is facing opposition from pilots, engineers and ground staff to his reforms to the iconic Australian airline, also received another death threat after the first was made public, the Sydney Morning Herald reported. The paper was unable to quote the threatening email, but said it read along the lines of: "I'm going to get you." Qantas would not comment on the threats but New South Wales police said they had established a taskforce to investigate the situation. "It will examine all circumstances surrounding the allegations," a police spokesman said. Unions are locked in protracted contract talks over pay and conditions with Qantas, which has said it will slash 1,000 jobs as part of its new Asia focus. Thousands of Qantas passengers faced disruption Friday after the airline cancelled some flights and delayed others due to a planned stoppage by baggage handlers and ground staff, which did not go ahead. The Transport Workers Union (TWU) called off the strike late on Thursday but Qantas said this was too late to stop contingency plans from being implemented and 17 flights were cancelled and 29 delayed, affecting 5,700 travellers. Australian Licensed Aircraft Engineers Association were to hold a one-hour strike at Melbourne Airport on Friday afternoon but this was only expected to cause minor delays.
GMT 18:11 2017 Wednesday ,27 December
Foreign tourist numbers up 23% in Tunisia in 2017GMT 18:14 2017 Monday ,25 December
Riyadh tourism events attract over 200,000 visitors in 2017GMT 10:29 2017 Monday ,25 December
Abu Dhabi welcomes 443,000 hotel guests to record 16 percent rise during NovemberGMT 09:57 2017 Sunday ,24 December
World's largest amphibious aircraft takes off in ChinaGMT 18:03 2017 Saturday ,23 December
Four bidders vie for Austria's bankrupt Niki airlineGMT 11:08 2017 Friday ,22 December
First Ryanair strike sees delays, but no cancellations in GermanyGMT 18:06 2017 Saturday ,16 December
Israel strike to stop flights at Ben Gurion airportGMT 17:35 2017 Thursday ,14 December
TUI says new direction paying off despite profit slump
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor