Embattled carrier Qantas was forced to cancel or delay more than 70 flights on Monday despite aircraft engineers calling off strike action after unions said the airline threatened to withhold pay. Line maintenance engineers, who check aircraft on the tarmac, were planning to stop work for four hours as part of a labour dispute in Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne. But just hours before walking off the job the Australian Licenced Aircraft Engineers Association (ALAEA) cancelled the strike, saying Qantas management threatened to withhold up to seven hours' pay for the time not worked. "The airline is playing dirty pool with our members by threatening them for taking lawful industrial action," ALAEA Federal Secretary Steve Purvinas said. "To ensure our members are not unfairly disadvantaged by Qantas management's last-minute curve ball, we have decided to reassess our position on today's planned action. "We are currently seeking legal advice and if necessary we will launch legal action against the airline for unlawful adverse action against our members," he added in a statement. Despite the backdown, Qantas said it was too late to change flight plans for the day and that the cancellations and delays announced earlier would remain. "They have called off the strike late and we have plans already in place. Unfortunately, it is too late to relook at those plans," a Qantas spokeswoman said. The Qantas website showed 35 domestic flight cancellations and another 34 services delayed or brought forward. Several international flights will also be affected, with delays of more than two hours on some services to London via Bangkok and Singapore, Frankfurt via Singapore, and to and from Auckland. Unions are locked in protracted contract talks over pay and conditions with Qantas, which has said it will slash 1,000 jobs as part of its new Asia focus, with baggage handlers and other ground staff also striking in recent weeks. On Friday, Australian police said they were investigating alleged death threats against chief executive Alan Joyce, while the airline has said managers had been sent menacing letters and strike-breaking workers bullied.
GMT 18:11 2017 Wednesday ,27 December
Foreign tourist numbers up 23% in Tunisia in 2017GMT 18:14 2017 Monday ,25 December
Riyadh tourism events attract over 200,000 visitors in 2017GMT 10:29 2017 Monday ,25 December
Abu Dhabi welcomes 443,000 hotel guests to record 16 percent rise during NovemberGMT 09:57 2017 Sunday ,24 December
World's largest amphibious aircraft takes off in ChinaGMT 18:03 2017 Saturday ,23 December
Four bidders vie for Austria's bankrupt Niki airlineGMT 11:08 2017 Friday ,22 December
First Ryanair strike sees delays, but no cancellations in GermanyGMT 18:06 2017 Saturday ,16 December
Israel strike to stop flights at Ben Gurion airportGMT 17:35 2017 Thursday ,14 December
TUI says new direction paying off despite profit slump
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor