Algerian nationals applying to attend conferences in Doha have recently been turned away by local hotels who arrange visit visas, in what is believed to be a wider crackdown on entry into Qatar. When contacted by Arabian Business, a reservations agent at the Ritz Carlton Hotel, which is playing host to a series of conferences in September, said it was “very difficult” for Algerian nationals to obtain a visa. The agent said that only around 10 percent of applications were successful. A series of calls made by Arabian Business to the Doha International Airport immigration hotline went unanswered.Articles in the Algerian media have reported that the Algerian foreign ministry has requested clarification over the issue from the Qatari embassy in Algiers. According to the Echorouk news website, Algerian foreign ministry spokesman Amar Belani said that the visa difficulties were due to new “technical measures” being implemented by the Qataris.The Ennahar website claimed that the moves were in response to Algeria’s neutral stance over the current conflict in Libya. Qatar has supported that country’s National Transitional Council, and has sent fighter aircraft to support the NATO coalition that has been attacking targets loyal to Colonel Muammar Gaddafi since March. The Qatari move follows Kuwait’s decision earlier this year to restrict entry to nationals from Iran, Iraq, Syria, Pakistan and Afghanistan due to fears over its security. Kuwait last week reportedly unveiled plans to halt commercial visa visas over fears rising numbers of expats were using them to enter the country, before transferring them to work permits to secure residency. The trend was creating a surge in ‘marginal’ foreign workers, Kuwaiti labour minister Dr Mohammad Al Afasi was reported as saying. One security expert has warned that the Kuwaiti move could lead to a Gulf-wide clampdown on entry rules in a bid to sidestep local unrest.“We have seen a number of attempts by the GCC states to alter their visa systems on very short notice,” said Theodore Karasik, director of research at the Institute for Near East and Gulf Military Analysis.“Many times this is done because of security, but also because of seeking new methods to halt the flow of particular individuals in and out of countries.” From / Arabian Business News
GMT 18:11 2017 Wednesday ,27 December
Foreign tourist numbers up 23% in Tunisia in 2017GMT 18:14 2017 Monday ,25 December
Riyadh tourism events attract over 200,000 visitors in 2017GMT 10:29 2017 Monday ,25 December
Abu Dhabi welcomes 443,000 hotel guests to record 16 percent rise during NovemberGMT 09:57 2017 Sunday ,24 December
World's largest amphibious aircraft takes off in ChinaGMT 18:03 2017 Saturday ,23 December
Four bidders vie for Austria's bankrupt Niki airlineGMT 11:08 2017 Friday ,22 December
First Ryanair strike sees delays, but no cancellations in GermanyGMT 18:06 2017 Saturday ,16 December
Israel strike to stop flights at Ben Gurion airportGMT 17:35 2017 Thursday ,14 December
TUI says new direction paying off despite profit slump
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor