The US ambassador to the Philippines has apologised for his controversial remark that 40 percent of male tourists visit the country for sex, the foreign department said Saturday. Harry Thomas sent the apology through a cell phone text message to Philippine Foreign Secretary Albert del Rosario on Friday, a spokesman said. In a statement, the US embassy confirmed that Thomas had expressed "deep regret" for his remark. Last month, Thomas sparked a furore when he said: "Forty percent of foreign men who come to the Philippines, including from the US, come for sex tourism." Government officials quickly disputed the claim, complaining that the envoy's remark had hurt the Philippines' image. "I am sending you a response expressing regret for my comments. I should not have used the 40 percent statistic without the ability to back it up," the spokesman quoted Thomas as saying in his text message. Philippine President Benigno Aquino's spokesman, Edwin Lacierda said that the ambassador's apology should settle the issue. "We consider the issue a closed case but our fight against (human traffickers) continues. We will continue to prosecute those who are taking advantage of our people," Lacierda told reporters. The ambassador's claim about sex tourists came amid Philippine government attempts to revitalise the country's tourism industry, which for years has lagged behind other Asian countries. The Philippines recorded an all-time high of 3.52 million visitors last year and the government is aiming for tourist arrivals of six million by 2016.
GMT 18:11 2017 Wednesday ,27 December
Foreign tourist numbers up 23% in Tunisia in 2017GMT 18:14 2017 Monday ,25 December
Riyadh tourism events attract over 200,000 visitors in 2017GMT 10:29 2017 Monday ,25 December
Abu Dhabi welcomes 443,000 hotel guests to record 16 percent rise during NovemberGMT 09:57 2017 Sunday ,24 December
World's largest amphibious aircraft takes off in ChinaGMT 18:03 2017 Saturday ,23 December
Four bidders vie for Austria's bankrupt Niki airlineGMT 11:08 2017 Friday ,22 December
First Ryanair strike sees delays, but no cancellations in GermanyGMT 18:06 2017 Saturday ,16 December
Israel strike to stop flights at Ben Gurion airportGMT 17:35 2017 Thursday ,14 December
TUI says new direction paying off despite profit slump
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor