Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez is making steady progress after cancer surgery in Cuba and the respiratory infection he developed earlier in the week has been contained, aides said Thursday. "He's well, he's conscious," said Vice President Nicolas Maduro, speaking to dozens of supporters at the swearing-in ceremony for the newly-elected governor of the central state of Guarico. Maduro, Chavez's handpicked successor, said the Venezuelan president had expressed "great happiness and profound gratitude to the entire Venezuelan people nation" for their support during his most recent health crisis. "In recent days we have had moments of worry, uncertainty and pain... because a leader like Hugo Chavez comes along just once every 200 years," the vice president said. Chavez underwent cancer surgery on December 11, scarcely a day-and-a-half after revealing to his stunned countrymen that his cancer had returned and just two months after his triumphant re-election to a six-year term. The fiery populist leader, who was first diagnosed with the disease in June 2011, had assured Venezuelans that he was cancer-free after three surgeries and debilitating rounds of chemo and radiation therapy. Significant aspects of his condition -- including the type, location and severity of his cancer -- have been kept secret over the past 18 months, fueling rumors and uncertainty about Venezuela's future.
GMT 14:29 2018 Friday ,31 August
Salvini probe dossier sent to PalermoGMT 14:22 2018 Friday ,31 August
Scholz plays down Italy-EU tensionsGMT 11:48 2018 Friday ,31 August
Situation on maritime and land borders is stableGMT 18:27 2018 Thursday ,30 August
Veteran UK Labour MP quits over anti-Semitism rowGMT 18:22 2018 Thursday ,30 August
France's Macron proposes EU collective defence planGMT 17:16 2018 Wednesday ,29 August
CGEM Head Calls for Better Training to Support Youth IntegrationGMT 16:32 2018 Wednesday ,29 August
HM the King Appoints New Walis and Governors at TerritorialGMT 12:35 2018 Tuesday ,23 January
All according to Munro plan as New Zealand sinks Pakistan
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor