
Israel rejects any US-proposed security concessions for the Jordan Valley, a cabinet member close to Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Sunday, as US Secretary John Kerry visited the Middle East. "Security must remain in our hands. Anyone who proposes a solution in the Jordan Valley by deploying an international force, Palestinian police or technological means ... does not understand the Middle East," Intelligence Minister Yuval Steinitz told Israeli public radio. Steinitz's comments came after three days of intense shuttle diplomacy by Kerry, who was trying to push a framework for final status talks between Israel and the Palestinians. With a late April deadline looming for the negotiations that he kick-started in July after a three-year hiatus, Kerry has pledged to work even more intensively in the coming months. US officials have refused to release any details of the proposed framework, and Kerry acknowledged it would not be agreed during this trip. Palestinian hopes of having an international force brought in to help patrol the Jordan Valley under a peace deal had been sidelined, a Palestinian source told AFP Saturday. Instead the US was proposing a mixed Israeli-Palestinian military presence to ensure security in the area, without setting a deadline when the Israeli troops would be withdrawn. But Israel insists on maintaining a long-term military presence in the Jordan Valley. Kerry has said a peace treaty will deal with all the core issues dividing the two sides. These include the contours of a future Palestinian state, refugees, the fate of Jerusalem claimed by both as a capital, security, and mutual recognition. Source: AFP
GMT 12:28 2018 Friday ,31 August
Algeria, reaffirm support to Sahrawi and Palestinian peoplesGMT 11:54 2018 Friday ,31 August
Second mine explodes in Mghilla 'Four soldiers wounded'GMT 11:30 2018 Friday ,31 August
UNSMIL condemns escalation of Violence in Great Tripoli areaGMT 11:15 2018 Friday ,31 August
Morocco, U.S Committed to Fighting Terrorism 'US Official'GMT 16:27 2018 Thursday ,30 August
PPS Considers Withdrawing from Ruling Coalition amid Tension with PJDGMT 15:34 2018 Thursday ,30 August
3 Bunkers, 4 homemade bombs discovered, destroyed in SkikdaGMT 15:10 2018 Thursday ,30 August
AU's Decision to Support UN-led Process, 'Big Win" for MoroccoGMT 12:47 2018 Thursday ,30 August
Cuba backed Polisario by providing military aid to Algeria
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor