
Kidnappers seized an Egyptian diplomat in the Libyan capital Tripoli on Friday, Libya's foreign ministry said. The diplomat was snatched from his house in Tripoli by an unknown group, Libyan foreign ministry spokesman Said Lassoued told AFP. Lassoued said Libyan authorities were making "efforts to find the diplomat", adding "reinforced security measures have been put in place around the Egyptian embassy". Egyptian foreign ministry spokesman Badr Abdelatty also confirmed the report, saying "an administrative adviser was kidnapped". "The Egyptian embassy is in contact with the Libyan authorities," he added. A source in the mission in Tripoli told AFP that the man who was kidnapped was just an official with the embassy. "He is not really a diplomat, even though he has a diplomatic passport," the source said on condition of anonymity. Meanwhile, a security official in the Libyan capital would not rule out that the kidnapping was a response to the arrest on Friday of a prominent leader of a group of ex-rebels in Egypt. Shaaban Hadeia, head of the Operations Centre of Libya's Thuwar (revolutionaries), unofficially linked to Libya's defence ministry, was arrested on Friday in the city of Alexandria on Egypt's Mediterranean coast, the source added. The presidency of Libya's parliament on Friday gave instructions to Libya's ambassador in Cairo to prepare for the "immediate release" of Hadeia. It also demanded Egypt explain his arrest. Since the fall of Kadhafi's regime in October 2011, Libyan authorities have shown themselves incapable of restoring order and security in the country, where deadly violence is now a common occurrence. Dozens of militia groups formed by notable ex-rebels operate outside of their control and impose their own rules in parts of the country. The situation is especially dire in the east of the country, in the cities of Derna and Benghazi, which have become bastions of radical Islamists who are accused of being behind dozens of murders and attacks targeting Western interests and the Libyan armed forces. Two Italians working for a public construction company were kidnapped last week in the east of the country. A South Korean trade representative was also released by Libyan security forces on Wednesday, three days after he was abducted by armed men in Tripoli. Source: AFP
GMT 12:28 2018 Friday ,31 August
Algeria, reaffirm support to Sahrawi and Palestinian peoplesGMT 11:54 2018 Friday ,31 August
Second mine explodes in Mghilla 'Four soldiers wounded'GMT 11:30 2018 Friday ,31 August
UNSMIL condemns escalation of Violence in Great Tripoli areaGMT 11:15 2018 Friday ,31 August
Morocco, U.S Committed to Fighting Terrorism 'US Official'GMT 16:27 2018 Thursday ,30 August
PPS Considers Withdrawing from Ruling Coalition amid Tension with PJDGMT 15:34 2018 Thursday ,30 August
3 Bunkers, 4 homemade bombs discovered, destroyed in SkikdaGMT 15:10 2018 Thursday ,30 August
AU's Decision to Support UN-led Process, 'Big Win" for MoroccoGMT 12:47 2018 Thursday ,30 August
Cuba backed Polisario by providing military aid to Algeria
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor