
A UN chemical weapons watchdog is examining allegations of eight toxic gas attacks in Syria since the beginning of this year, according to a report released Friday.
The Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons is tasked with investigating allegations of such attacks in Syria after the government joined the Chemical Weapons Convention in 2013.
In a report to the Security Council, OPCW Director-General Ahmet Uzumcu said "eight incidents of alleged use of chemical weapons have been recorded since the beginning of 2017 and are currently being analyzed."
He did not specify where the latest attacks allegedly occurred.
Fact-finding missions are already investigating incidents in eastern Aleppo city, western Rif Aleppo, South Homs and North Hama, Rif Damashq and Idlib, said the report sent to the council on Monday.
Witnesses have been interviewed and the OPCW teams continue to gather evidence in those cases.
The Syrian government has asked the OPCW to investigate four alleged chemical attacks in the area of Aleppo from September to November last year, the report added.
In those cases, Russia has provided samples that have been sent to OPCW laboratories for analysis.
After the OPCW said chlorine bombs had been dropped on at least three villages in Syria in 2014 and 2015, a UN-led investigation concluded that the Syrian air force was responsible for those attacks.
Britain, France and the United States presented a draft Security Council resolution last week that would have imposed sanctions on those responsible for the chlorine attacks, but the measure was vetoed by Russia and China.
The investigative panel also found that the Islamic State group was behind the use of mustard gas in an attack in 2015.
Human Rights Watch has accused Syrian government forces of carrying out at least eight chemical attacks during the final weeks of the battle for Aleppo late last year, killing nine people and injuring hundreds more.
OPCW experts are still waiting to inspect the Scientific Studies and Research Center, which oversees Syria's chemical weapons program, after several scheduled inspections were delayed, the report said.
The center, known by its acronym CERS, was on a proposed blacklist for UN sanctions that was scrapped by the Russian and Chinese double veto.
The Syrian government has repeatedly denied using chemical weapons in the war that has killed 310,000 people since March 2011.
source: AFP
GMT 12:28 2018 Friday ,31 August
Algeria, reaffirm support to Sahrawi and Palestinian peoplesGMT 11:54 2018 Friday ,31 August
Second mine explodes in Mghilla 'Four soldiers wounded'GMT 11:30 2018 Friday ,31 August
UNSMIL condemns escalation of Violence in Great Tripoli areaGMT 11:15 2018 Friday ,31 August
Morocco, U.S Committed to Fighting Terrorism 'US Official'GMT 16:27 2018 Thursday ,30 August
PPS Considers Withdrawing from Ruling Coalition amid Tension with PJDGMT 15:34 2018 Thursday ,30 August
3 Bunkers, 4 homemade bombs discovered, destroyed in SkikdaGMT 15:10 2018 Thursday ,30 August
AU's Decision to Support UN-led Process, 'Big Win" for MoroccoGMT 12:47 2018 Thursday ,30 August
Cuba backed Polisario by providing military aid to Algeria
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor