
Army shelling killed a pregnant woman and her daughters, three and five, in the same Yemeni town where a bombardment killed 19 mourners last month, medics said on Saturday. The girls' father, Yassin Said, was seriously wounded when the shell slammed into their home in Daleh, 300 kilometres (190 miles) south of the capital, on Friday evening, the medics added. The town, where support runs deep for renewed independence for the formerly independent south, has seen repeated violence between the army and secessionists since the deadly December 27 bombardment of a funeral for one of their number killed in a clash with troops. Earlier Friday, two soldiers and two activists of the Southern Movement were killed in the town. Southern Movement activist Abderrahim al-Naqib said the army had shelled residential areas and a hospital in the town. Human Rights Watch called on the Yemeni government on Thursday to publish the results of its inquiry into last month's deadly shelling. The army said it had targeted militants but witnesses said the shelling hit a schoolyard where some 30 children were among around 150 mourners gathered for the funeral. After British colonial rule ended in 1967, southern Yemen was independent until union with the north in 1990. A secession attempt four years later sparked a brief civil war that ended with northern forces taking over the south. Southern grievances have hindered the political transition rule of veteran strongman Ali Abdullah Saleh, who stepped down in 2012 following 11 months of Arab Spring-inspired protests. Source: AFP
GMT 12:28 2018 Friday ,31 August
Algeria, reaffirm support to Sahrawi and Palestinian peoplesGMT 11:54 2018 Friday ,31 August
Second mine explodes in Mghilla 'Four soldiers wounded'GMT 11:30 2018 Friday ,31 August
UNSMIL condemns escalation of Violence in Great Tripoli areaGMT 11:15 2018 Friday ,31 August
Morocco, U.S Committed to Fighting Terrorism 'US Official'GMT 16:27 2018 Thursday ,30 August
PPS Considers Withdrawing from Ruling Coalition amid Tension with PJDGMT 15:34 2018 Thursday ,30 August
3 Bunkers, 4 homemade bombs discovered, destroyed in SkikdaGMT 15:10 2018 Thursday ,30 August
AU's Decision to Support UN-led Process, 'Big Win" for MoroccoGMT 12:47 2018 Thursday ,30 August
Cuba backed Polisario by providing military aid to Algeria
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor