NATO's next summit will be held in Chicago, US, on May 20-21, NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen has announced. "We'll have the next NATO summit in Chicago on May 20-21 next year. This will be an important summit, following up on the decisions taken at Lisbon last year, but also breaking new ground," he said in a statement released Friday. The Chicago summit agenda has not yet been finalised, but NATO's Enduring Partnership with Afghanistan , which was agreed at the last NATO summit in Lisbon, will be a key point. The NATO summit in the Portuguese capital agreed to create a system to defend NATO European territories and populations against ballistic-missile threats. "In Chicago, I hope and expect we'll be able to declare interim operational capability. This will be a significant step forward, because we have been discussing the development of a NATO-based missile defence system for many many years," said Rasmussen. The NATO chief said at the Chicago summit he hopes to break new ground in the Alliance's partnership with other countries and organisations, especially in North Africa and the Middle East. "There are many positive lessons learnt from our Libya operations. We'd also like to broaden the perspective and further strengthen these partnerships, " added Rasmussen. The Chicago meeting will be the first NATO summit in the United States since 1999 when the Alliance celebrated its fiftieth anniversary in Washington.
GMT 16:26 2018 Wednesday ,29 August
Morocco, Cuba Start 'Unprecedented and Historic Era' in their RelationsGMT 16:13 2018 Wednesday ,29 August
Morocco, Dominican Republic Discuss Means to Promote CooperationGMT 18:51 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Tensions mount in Rohingya camps ahead of planned relocation to MyanmarGMT 18:47 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Macron shares African outrage on Trump’s vulgar languageGMT 18:41 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Jordan urges Pence to rebuild trust after Jerusalem pivotGMT 18:37 2018 Sunday ,21 January
UN Security Council to discuss Syria on MondayGMT 18:23 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Iraqi court sentences to death German woman who joined DaeshGMT 18:19 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Turkish state media say Turkey’s ground forces have entered Syrian Kurdish enclave
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor