
A suspect has been arrested in connection with the deaths of an American and a Swedish investigator for the UN and their interpreter, but another suspect has escaped, a Congolese military official said Friday.
Maj. Gen. Joseph Ponde Isambwa said four police officers who held the suspects have been brought in for questioning.
The bodies of American Michael Sharp, Swedish national Zaida Catalan and interpreter Betu Tshintela were found late last month in a shallow grave in Congo’s Central Kasai province.
They had been looking into alleged human rights violations by the Congolese army and local militia groups. Three other local members of their team remain missing.
Their deaths raised an outcry, with Sweden opening a murder investigation and Congo’s President Joseph Kabila vowing punishment for those responsible.
It was the first recorded disappearance of international workers in the once-calm Kasai provinces, where at least 400 civilians have been killed since August amid a rebellion loyal to former traditional leader Kamwina Nsapu. The UN has said 23 mass graves have been found in the region, and at least 434,000 people have been displaced.
“Anyone who has information in connection with the serious acts committed in the greater Kasai is asked to come forward with it,” said Ponde, adding that everything is being done to protect those who might be in danger.
The prosecutor of the International Criminal court has said the killing of the UN investigators and other violence in Congo could be crimes under her court’s jurisdiction.
Source: Arab News
GMT 16:26 2018 Wednesday ,29 August
Morocco, Cuba Start 'Unprecedented and Historic Era' in their RelationsGMT 16:13 2018 Wednesday ,29 August
Morocco, Dominican Republic Discuss Means to Promote CooperationGMT 18:51 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Tensions mount in Rohingya camps ahead of planned relocation to MyanmarGMT 18:47 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Macron shares African outrage on Trump’s vulgar languageGMT 18:41 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Jordan urges Pence to rebuild trust after Jerusalem pivotGMT 18:37 2018 Sunday ,21 January
UN Security Council to discuss Syria on MondayGMT 18:23 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Iraqi court sentences to death German woman who joined DaeshGMT 18:19 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Turkish state media say Turkey’s ground forces have entered Syrian Kurdish enclave
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor