
European Parliament head Antonio Tajani has banned a top Syrian official from a conference on the conflict after the suspected chemical attack on a rebel-held town earlier this week.
Tajani sent a message to leftwing MEP Javier Couso warning that Syrian Deputy Foreign Minister Ayman Soussan would not be allowed to attend the conference planned by the lawmaker on Monday, according to a copy of the document seen by AFP.
“Please be advised that, following the recent use of chemical weapons and the subsequent developments, I have decided not to authorize this event on parliamentary premises,” Tajani said, according to the message.
“I have taken this decision as politically it is clearly inopportune to hold this conference,” he said.
“For security reasons, I have also decided not to authorize Mr.Ayman Soussan access to the European Parliament,” he added.
Syrian President Bashar Assad’s regime in Damascus was widely blamed for a suspected chemical attack on a rebel-held town on Tuesday, prompting US President Donald Trump to order cruise missile strikes on a Syrian air base.
The European Union supports a political transition in Syria whereby Assad steps down to make way for a new government, and the bloc reaffirmed this position on Monday.
Brussels hosted an international donor’s conference on Syria mid-week attended by opposition figures which raised some $6.0 billion for humanitarian aid efforts this year.
Source: Arab News
GMT 16:26 2018 Wednesday ,29 August
Morocco, Cuba Start 'Unprecedented and Historic Era' in their RelationsGMT 16:13 2018 Wednesday ,29 August
Morocco, Dominican Republic Discuss Means to Promote CooperationGMT 18:51 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Tensions mount in Rohingya camps ahead of planned relocation to MyanmarGMT 18:47 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Macron shares African outrage on Trump’s vulgar languageGMT 18:41 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Jordan urges Pence to rebuild trust after Jerusalem pivotGMT 18:37 2018 Sunday ,21 January
UN Security Council to discuss Syria on MondayGMT 18:23 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Iraqi court sentences to death German woman who joined DaeshGMT 18:19 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Turkish state media say Turkey’s ground forces have entered Syrian Kurdish enclave
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor