The Israeli Ministry for Public Security has prepared a draft plan for putting in place emergency law regulations to deal with possible massive protests in the wake of a declaration of an independent Palestinian state, said Haaretz on Sunday. According to Israeli newspaper, the plan - which would curtail the rights of those detained, or under arrest - has sparked disagreement among members of the Justice Ministry. The document circulated at the Justice Ministry last week after its experts, along with Attorney General Yehuda Weinstein, were asked to to give their opinion of it to the Public Security Ministry. On Saturday, the ministry confirmed that in preparation for possible unrest this month emergency law regulations are being considered in order to give the police forces the necessary means to regain control. It is thought that the regulations anchored in the law governing arrests do not allow police to deal with massive violent disturbances One proposal would allow police to use force against those being detained - and not only against those being arrested, as they are now authorized to do. That change would also harm the right of a person arrested to meet with an attorney without delay. "The plan to pass emergency law regulations is a real example of the potential for seriously harming rights when draconian measures are implemented, " said Dan Yakir, the legal counsel for the Association for Civil Rights in Israel, last night.
GMT 16:26 2018 Wednesday ,29 August
Morocco, Cuba Start 'Unprecedented and Historic Era' in their RelationsGMT 16:13 2018 Wednesday ,29 August
Morocco, Dominican Republic Discuss Means to Promote CooperationGMT 18:51 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Tensions mount in Rohingya camps ahead of planned relocation to MyanmarGMT 18:47 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Macron shares African outrage on Trump’s vulgar languageGMT 18:41 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Jordan urges Pence to rebuild trust after Jerusalem pivotGMT 18:37 2018 Sunday ,21 January
UN Security Council to discuss Syria on MondayGMT 18:23 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Iraqi court sentences to death German woman who joined DaeshGMT 18:19 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Turkish state media say Turkey’s ground forces have entered Syrian Kurdish enclave
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor