Democratic Republic of Congo President Joseph Kabila will formally submit his candidacy on Sunday for re-election at polls scheduled for November 28, according to his party. Kabila, president since 2001, was nominated by his People's Party for Reconstruction and Democracy (PPRD) as its presidential candidate last month but he will register as an independent, a spokesman for the party said Friday. "As in 2006, (Kabila) will present himself as a candidate of the Congolese people, therefore, he will be running as an independent candidate," the spokesman, Emile Bongeli Yeikelo, told AFP. Yeikelo said that as head of a governing coalition it was understandable that Kabila should decide to not run on a narrow party ticket. As many as 170 parties are allied to Kabila and his coalition. Kabila, 40, came to power after the assassination of his father Laurent Kabila in January 2001. He won a 2006 election run-off against Jean-Pierre Bemba, a former vice-president who is now being held at the International Criminal Court in The Hague on war crimes charges. Although Bemba has had to abandon his hopes of a new run for the presidency, Nzanga Mobutu, the son of former dictator Mobutu Sese Seko, has officially filed his candidacy. Others who have already declared thrown their hats into the ring or are expected to do so over the weekend included Etienne Tshisekedi, who is the leader of the Union for Democracy and Social Progress (UDPS), and Leon Kengo wa Dondo, the current president of the Congolese senate. The deadline to submit candidacies is on Sunday.
GMT 16:26 2018 Wednesday ,29 August
Morocco, Cuba Start 'Unprecedented and Historic Era' in their RelationsGMT 16:13 2018 Wednesday ,29 August
Morocco, Dominican Republic Discuss Means to Promote CooperationGMT 18:51 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Tensions mount in Rohingya camps ahead of planned relocation to MyanmarGMT 18:47 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Macron shares African outrage on Trump’s vulgar languageGMT 18:41 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Jordan urges Pence to rebuild trust after Jerusalem pivotGMT 18:37 2018 Sunday ,21 January
UN Security Council to discuss Syria on MondayGMT 18:23 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Iraqi court sentences to death German woman who joined DaeshGMT 18:19 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Turkish state media say Turkey’s ground forces have entered Syrian Kurdish enclave
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor