
The Uzbek national suspected of mowing down pedestrians in Stockholm last week had tried to join the ranks of the ISIS militant group in Syria, an Uzbek source told Russian agencies.
The 39-year-old suspect, Rakhmat Akilov, “fell under the influence of emissaries of the Tajik cell of the ISIS, making attempts to take part in combat in Syria on the side of the fighters,” an unnamed law enforcement source in the Central Asian state said.
According to the source, Akilov attempted to cross Turkey’s border with Syria in 2015 but was detained.
“Given his refugee status he was deported back to Sweden,” the source said.
The source added that Uzbek authorities had added Akilov to an international wanted list in late February after a criminal case on “religious extremism” was opened against him.
Akilov on Tuesday confessed to a “terrorist crime” for the truck attack that killed four people and injured 15 others on Friday, his lawyer said.
He had reportedly said he had received an “order” directly from IS to carry out the attack, according to Swedish media reports.
Akilov, a construction worker who had been refused permanent residency in Sweden, was arrested several hours after the attack.
He had gone underground after his application for Swedish residency was rejected last year, police said.
source: Alarabiya
GMT 16:26 2018 Wednesday ,29 August
Morocco, Cuba Start 'Unprecedented and Historic Era' in their RelationsGMT 16:13 2018 Wednesday ,29 August
Morocco, Dominican Republic Discuss Means to Promote CooperationGMT 18:51 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Tensions mount in Rohingya camps ahead of planned relocation to MyanmarGMT 18:47 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Macron shares African outrage on Trump’s vulgar languageGMT 18:41 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Jordan urges Pence to rebuild trust after Jerusalem pivotGMT 18:37 2018 Sunday ,21 January
UN Security Council to discuss Syria on MondayGMT 18:23 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Iraqi court sentences to death German woman who joined DaeshGMT 18:19 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Turkish state media say Turkey’s ground forces have entered Syrian Kurdish enclave
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor