
Sudan on Sunday announced that it is hosting over 600,000 South Sudanese refugees, according to Sudan's Humanitarian Aid Commission (HAC).
"Sudan is hosting more than 600,000 South Sudanese refugees. Sudan has provided more than 12,000 tons of humanitarian assistance to the citizens of South Sudan," said HAC Commissioner Ahmed Mohamed Adam in a statement Sunday.
The Sudanese official further urged the international community to support the efforts being made by Sudan to provide more aid to the South Sudanese citizens before the arrival of the rainy season.
Last March 26, the Sudanese Government agreed to open a new humanitarian corridor for delivering humanitarian aid to the people of South Sudan who are facing the spectre of famine.
Earlier United Nations High Commission for refugees (UNHCR) and its partners have appealed for USD 166 million from international donors to help refugees and host communities in Sudan.
According to official statistics last month, around 495,000 South Sudanese are present in Sudan.
Recently famine was officially declared in South Sudan, where the South Sudanese government and the UN said 100,000 people are facing starvation, with one million people classified as being on the brink of famine.
The famine was attributed to many reasons including the civil war and collapse of the economy in the new-born state.
Source: Xinhua
GMT 16:26 2018 Wednesday ,29 August
Morocco, Cuba Start 'Unprecedented and Historic Era' in their RelationsGMT 16:13 2018 Wednesday ,29 August
Morocco, Dominican Republic Discuss Means to Promote CooperationGMT 18:51 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Tensions mount in Rohingya camps ahead of planned relocation to MyanmarGMT 18:47 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Macron shares African outrage on Trump’s vulgar languageGMT 18:41 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Jordan urges Pence to rebuild trust after Jerusalem pivotGMT 18:37 2018 Sunday ,21 January
UN Security Council to discuss Syria on MondayGMT 18:23 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Iraqi court sentences to death German woman who joined DaeshGMT 18:19 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Turkish state media say Turkey’s ground forces have entered Syrian Kurdish enclave
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor