Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has formally called on the international community to help Pakistan respond to the humanitarian needs of more than five million people in flood-hit areas, according to UN news center. "Following the generous response of the international community to his appeal to assist Pakistan during the devastating floods of last year, the Secretary-General further calls for continued solidarity of the international community in support of disaster management and risk reduction in Pakistan," his office said in a statement on Thursday. "The Secretary-General is concerned about recent flooding in Pakistan that has affected more than five million people, with over one million homes damaged or destroyed and four and half million acres of land flooded," the statement said. The UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) has put the toll of death and destruction following the heavy monsoon rains in Pakistan at 230 people killed, more than 300,000 displaced and 1.1 million homes destroyed or damaged. Some 4.5 million acres farmland has been inundated, major roads damaged and water contaminated. Last year, floods killed some 2,000 people in Pakistan and submerged about a fifth of the country, affecting 20 million people, as torrential rains sent swollen rivers cascading across the country from the mountainous north, inundating large swathes of low-lying areas all the way to the Arabian Sea.
GMT 16:26 2018 Wednesday ,29 August
Morocco, Cuba Start 'Unprecedented and Historic Era' in their RelationsGMT 16:13 2018 Wednesday ,29 August
Morocco, Dominican Republic Discuss Means to Promote CooperationGMT 18:51 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Tensions mount in Rohingya camps ahead of planned relocation to MyanmarGMT 18:47 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Macron shares African outrage on Trump’s vulgar languageGMT 18:41 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Jordan urges Pence to rebuild trust after Jerusalem pivotGMT 18:37 2018 Sunday ,21 January
UN Security Council to discuss Syria on MondayGMT 18:23 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Iraqi court sentences to death German woman who joined DaeshGMT 18:19 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Turkish state media say Turkey’s ground forces have entered Syrian Kurdish enclave
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor