U.S. President Barack Obama has received new Libyan Ambassador to the U.S. Ali Aujali and accepted his credentials to represent his country and its transitional government, a National Security Council spokesman said. Obama welcomed Aujali in the Oval Office on Friday to mark the formal beginning of the ambassador's service in Washington. “The United States congratulates the Libyan people for their courage and determination to chart a new and democratic future for their country,” Tommy Vietor said in a statement.“As the Transitional National Council undertakes an inclusive and democratic political transition where human rights are respected and valued, it will find a strong ally in the United States,” the statement said. The Libyan embassy in Washington was shut down in March shortly before the beginning of a NATO military campaign in the oil-rich North African country. Aujali, who was the Libyan envoy to Washington at the time, strongly criticized Muammar Gaddafi’s regime for using violence against protesters. He was one of the first Libyan officials to resign and side with the rebels. The Libyan embassy in Washington was reopened on August 18 after an official recognition of the Transitional National Council by the Obama administration. Washington has also given new Libyan diplomats access to roughly $13 million in mission assets that had been frozen as part of sanctions against Gaddafi’s regime.
GMT 16:26 2018 Wednesday ,29 August
Morocco, Cuba Start 'Unprecedented and Historic Era' in their RelationsGMT 16:13 2018 Wednesday ,29 August
Morocco, Dominican Republic Discuss Means to Promote CooperationGMT 18:51 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Tensions mount in Rohingya camps ahead of planned relocation to MyanmarGMT 18:47 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Macron shares African outrage on Trump’s vulgar languageGMT 18:41 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Jordan urges Pence to rebuild trust after Jerusalem pivotGMT 18:37 2018 Sunday ,21 January
UN Security Council to discuss Syria on MondayGMT 18:23 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Iraqi court sentences to death German woman who joined DaeshGMT 18:19 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Turkish state media say Turkey’s ground forces have entered Syrian Kurdish enclave
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor