
Fighting between rival tribes in southern Libya killed 19 people Saturday and wounded another 20, a local official said. "Violent confrontations broke out between Toubous and Awled Sleiman early this morning," Ayoub al-Zarrouk, chief of the local council in Sebha told Agence France Presse. "So far there are 19 dead and 20 wounded." Local sources said the clashes were sparked by the death on Thursday of a militia chief linked to Awled Sleiman, adding that the tribe accused the Toubous of murdering him. Saturday's fighting is the worst between the tribes since they struck a cease-fire agreement in March 2012 following deadly battles that killed at least 150 people and wounded 400 others. The Toubous are black oasis farmers by tradition who also live in southern Libya, northern Chad and Niger. They have complained in the past of attempted ethnic cleansing against their community by Arab tribesmen.
GMT 18:32 2018 Thursday ,11 January
Nearly 100,000 displaced by fighting in northwest SyriaGMT 18:54 2018 Monday ,08 January
Tunisian police disperse protests against price hikes, unemploymentGMT 18:38 2018 Sunday ,07 January
Imam inaugurates move back to the Prophet’s MihrabGMT 19:14 2018 Saturday ,06 January
Iran: opposition protests and pro-regime ralliesGMT 19:58 2018 Wednesday ,03 January
Polisario Threats MINURSO to Enter Restricted Zone of GuergueratGMT 18:19 2018 Monday ,01 January
Syria’s Assad names new defense and other ministersGMT 18:14 2018 Monday ,01 January
Abbas condemns Israeli ruling party vote for West Bank annexationGMT 00:20 2017 Saturday ,30 December
Makkah forum to boost innovation, leadership
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor