
A rebel commander has frozen to death in the bitter cold brought by a snowstorm that has swept Syria this week, a monitoring group said Saturday. "The body of a rebel commander who was on his way from (the northwestern province of) Idlib to Homs (in central Syria) has been found. He died during the snowstorm," said the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights. Observatory director Rami Abdel Rahman told Agence France Presse there were no signs of gunshots or other wounds and that the body was "frozen." Abdel Rahman said the unnamed commander, in his 40s, was a member of the Islamist Suqur al-Sham brigades. The Britain-based Observatory also reported that the frozen bodies of two men in their 30s were found in Homs province on a road to neighboring Hama province. It could not say whether they were rebels or civilians. Syria has been struck by a severe snowstorm that has brought icy temperatures to several countries in the Levant. Starting Wednesday, the snowstorm brought sudden, low temperatures, below zero in some areas, not only to Syria, but other countries in the region. By Saturday temperatures were starting to improve but several areas were completely covered in snow including Damascus, battle-torn Qalamoun, Aleppo province and Homs. People living in rebel-held areas, where there are fuel, electricity and food shortages, have been especially affected by the storm, as have been refugees living in tents in neighboring countries. The main opposition National Coalition reported Thursday that a baby and a child died of cold in Aleppo, northern Syria, and Rastan, in Homs. But the icy weather did not stop the fighting on a key front at Adra, east of Damascus. Battles have been raging there for four days, ever since Islamist rebels launched an offensive aimed at capturing one of the main entrances to the capital. The army hit back with a broad counter-offensive starting Friday, and vowed to "crush" the rebels there. On Saturday, a security source in Damascus told AFP "the army's operations are continuing. Starting yesterday, we identified the areas where the terrorists are positioned and we are attacking them." President Bashar Assad's regime brands rebels and dissidents as "terrorists." The source also said a "savage massacre" had been committed in Adra on Wednesday, without specifying a toll. The Observatory had reported 15 civilians killed Wednesday and Thursday. On Saturday, it said another 12 bodies had been found near Adra, and that "activists have accused the regime of killing them." Syria's war has killed more than 126,000 people in nearly three years, and forced millions more to flee their homes.
GMT 18:32 2018 Thursday ,11 January
Nearly 100,000 displaced by fighting in northwest SyriaGMT 18:54 2018 Monday ,08 January
Tunisian police disperse protests against price hikes, unemploymentGMT 18:38 2018 Sunday ,07 January
Imam inaugurates move back to the Prophet’s MihrabGMT 19:14 2018 Saturday ,06 January
Iran: opposition protests and pro-regime ralliesGMT 19:58 2018 Wednesday ,03 January
Polisario Threats MINURSO to Enter Restricted Zone of GuergueratGMT 18:19 2018 Monday ,01 January
Syria’s Assad names new defense and other ministersGMT 18:14 2018 Monday ,01 January
Abbas condemns Israeli ruling party vote for West Bank annexationGMT 00:20 2017 Saturday ,30 December
Makkah forum to boost innovation, leadership
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor