
A UN General Assembly committee Thursday condemned "gross" widespread human rights violations in North Korea, in a resolution adopted by a record majority.
The measure now goes to the full General Assembly for a vote next month, but the strong endorsement reflected growing calls for action to address the dire human rights crisis in the communist-ruled country.
The resolution overwhelmingly won backing from 112 countries, compared with 111 last year. Only 19 countries voted against the latest measure and 50 nations abstained.
European and Japanese diplomats who drafted the measure had said they were hoping to garner more votes than last year in the General Assembly, which has condemned Pyongyang's rights record every year since 2005.
This year's text condemns "long-standing and ongoing systematic, widespread and gross violations of human rights" in North Korea.
For the second consecutive year, it encourages the Security Council to consider referring Pyongyang to the International Criminal Court for crimes against humanity.
Such a move however would likely be blocked by Pyongyang's closest ally China, which has veto power in the council.
The resolution demands that a vast network of prison camps in North Korea thought to be holding 100,000 inmates living in appalling conditions be shut down.
North Korean deputy ambassador Choe Myong-Nam dismissed the text as a "product of political confrontation, plot and conspiracy of the United States and other hostile forces."
"The DPRK takes interest in dialogue and cooperation but will continue to strongly counterattack any attempts of confrontation and pressure," he told the assembly.
- Devastating rights situation -
Speaking on behalf of the EU, Luxembourg's Ambassador Sylvie Lucas said human rights abuses in North Korea were now "firmly anchored in the international agenda" and stressed the need for accountability.
International alarm has grown since the release last year of a UN commission of inquiry report which concluded that North Korea was committing rights violations "without parallel in the contemporary world."
After 10 UN resolutions and the commission of inquiry report, there is little sign however of changes on the ground.
In his latest report, UN special rapporteur Marzuki Darusman said there had been no improvement in the dire human rights situation over the past year.
Pyongyang continues to operate prison camps on a large scale and resorts to widespread use of summary executions, torture and arbitrary detentions to impose a "near-total denial of human rights," he said.
"Today's vote signals that the world remains deeply concerned about the devastating human right situation in North Korea," said Param-Preet Singh of Human Rights Watch.
"The UN Security Council should now discuss Pyongyang's widespread abuses as a threat to international peace and security."
The Security Council is expected next month to hold only its second-ever meeting on rights violations in North Korea, although China could move to block such a meeting from going ahead.
Source: AFP
GMT 09:59 2017 Monday ,25 December
Turkey joins Russia and Iran in supporting SyriaGMT 09:05 2017 Monday ,25 December
Russia’s Lavrov calls on US and North Korea to start talksGMT 15:16 2017 Wednesday ,01 November
Spanish Police Arrest Moroccan Citizen Allegedly Belonging to ISISGMT 10:36 2017 Wednesday ,01 November
Manhattan truck attack kills 8, note on allegiance to ISIS discoveredGMT 20:15 2017 Tuesday ,31 October
Egypt backs Bahrain's security decisionGMT 19:59 2017 Tuesday ,31 October
Arab Parliament condemns terror attack in BahrainGMT 14:48 2017 Tuesday ,31 October
10 terror suspects sentenced to life in jailGMT 16:55 2017 Sunday ,29 October
Under US pressure, Israel delays move to expand Jerusalem
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor