Jack Wilshere remains on Great Britain's 80-man list of contenders to feature at this summer's London Olympics despite Arsenal ruling him out for the season, according to reports in the British press. But Great Britain coach Stuart Pearce has confirmed he will not rule anyone out until he is satisfied they cannot play, and said: "He is on the shortlist. We will look at everyone individually and check their fitness and the medical people will speak with the clubs." The news is bound to upset Wenger who, like Sir Alex Ferguson, is not convinced by the merits of Olympic competition in the first place. Ferguson has already spoken of the havoc that could be caused to Manchester United's pre-season preparation by a large number of British call-ups, in addition to David de Gea and Javier Hernandez, who will be playing for Spain and Mexico respectively. Pearce is adamant that, as long as Wilshere proves he's fit after a season wrecked by injury, Wenger will be powerless to block the youngster from being called up for group games against Uruguay, Senegal and the UAE. Pearce said: “We’re in constant contact with Arsenal and we’ll see how this one rides. “But, will any manager get a veto over who I select? Of course not. "We would obviously let them know if their players are in contention and the dates they would need to be made available. “But we’re talking about Great Britain here. The Olympic Games. "If you strip it down solely to the players, this is an opportunity of a lifetime. “Lionel Messi took his club to court because he wanted to play at the Olympics. That’s the best player in the world. “I wouldn’t want to get into a legal battle, but we’re not talking about taking players away for a whole season. "We’re not even asking them to miss a competitive match.” Wenger and Pearce have clashed several times over the selection of Jack Wilshere and Gunners team-mate Theo Walcott for the England Under-21s, which Pearce also manages. Last May, Pearce singled out the Frenchman as the only manager to give him grief over his selection policy, saying: “Over a four-year period, I have only ever heard Arsene Wenger’s name mentioned in respect to this.” Wilshere has not played a competitive game since England’s 2-2 draw with Switzerland last June. He he picked up an ankle injury in pre-season the following month, then suffered a stress fracture in his right foot in February during his rehab. Wenger is unwilling to take any chances with the player, as he wants Wilshere 100% for next season. The Arsenal boss said last week: “The Olympics would be the worst idea for him.” Pearce said on Tuesday, however: “That’s his opinion. I can’t change his opinion, and it’s not of great concern to me.”
GMT 18:45 2018 Wednesday ,10 January
Chinese FA warns clubs over Aubameyang 'bidding war'GMT 19:28 2018 Tuesday ,09 January
Neymar, PSG run riot in French CupGMT 15:08 2018 Sunday ,07 January
Bayern's Heynckes rules out Vidal Chelsea moveGMT 14:59 2018 Sunday ,07 January
Napoli cement top spot as Lazio's Immobile hits fourGMT 16:04 2018 Tuesday ,02 January
Schedulers are against us, Arsenal manager Wenger complainsGMT 15:54 2018 Tuesday ,02 January
Manchester United lift Mourinho, Liverpool leave it lateGMT 19:04 2017 Sunday ,31 December
Lukaku adds to Mourinho's woes as United lose groundGMT 18:58 2017 Sunday ,31 December
Inter, Roma held as Benevento finally win
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor