Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand admits he is resigned to the fact that his international career is over following his controversial omission from England's Euro 2012 squad. England manager Roy Hodgson insists Ferdinand was left out of his 23-man squad for "footballing reasons" but critics believe the decision is related to the racism saga involving team-mate John Terry. Criticism of Ferdinand's omission intensified last week after the United defender was ignored following the injury withdrawal of Gary Cahill in favour of the inexperienced Liverpool defender Martin Kelly. With Hodgson only recently appointed on a four-year deal, 33-year-old Ferdinand accepts the curtain has come down on his England career. "You would have to say it might be over with England for me. If I'm not getting picked now, especially when people are out injured, then it's unlikely I will be picked again," he told The Sun. "I always said I wouldn't retire from international football until I stopped playing and I won't. I will still be available." Ferdinand meanwhile was unapologetic about his angry reaction to being overlooked for the squad. "If you aren't disappointed by being left at home when your country is playing in tournaments like this then there's a problem and you shouldn't be in professional football," he said. "I'm in this game to achieve as much as I can. I'm paid to win and be a sore loser. I want to play in the big games and win big trophies. If that's a crime then I'm a criminal." FIFA .
GMT 18:45 2018 Wednesday ,10 January
Chinese FA warns clubs over Aubameyang 'bidding war'GMT 19:28 2018 Tuesday ,09 January
Neymar, PSG run riot in French CupGMT 15:08 2018 Sunday ,07 January
Bayern's Heynckes rules out Vidal Chelsea moveGMT 14:59 2018 Sunday ,07 January
Napoli cement top spot as Lazio's Immobile hits fourGMT 16:04 2018 Tuesday ,02 January
Schedulers are against us, Arsenal manager Wenger complainsGMT 15:54 2018 Tuesday ,02 January
Manchester United lift Mourinho, Liverpool leave it lateGMT 19:04 2017 Sunday ,31 December
Lukaku adds to Mourinho's woes as United lose groundGMT 18:58 2017 Sunday ,31 December
Inter, Roma held as Benevento finally win
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor