Italy's reigning 50km walk champion Alex Schwazer has been withdrawn from the Olympics for failing a drugs test, a source with knowledge of the case confirmed to AFP on Monday. The source said Schwazer, 27, tested positive for the banned blood booster EPO during a test conducted by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) at a training camp in Oberstdorf, Germany. The Italian Olympic Committee (CONI) said in a statement an athlete had been withdrawn from the Olympics for failing a drugs test but did not name the athlete or the sport. "The president of the Italian Olympic Committee (CONI), Giovanni Petrucci, having spoken to the head of the (Olympic) delegation, Raffaele Pagnozzi, has immediately excluded from the Olympic team an athlete who had not yet gone to London," said the CONI statement. "This afternoon CONI received a notification of an adverse finding from WADA in an anti-doping control taken by this athlete. "The head of the relevant discipline has promptly informed by CONI about the decision." Schwazer was a bronze medallist at the 2005 and 2007 World Championships before striking gold at Beijing four years ago. He had been one of Italy's best medal hopes in London after a solid start to the season which saw him clock the fourth best time of his career. WADA has warned the London Games would see the most rigorous testing regime in history, with more than 6,000 tests expected to be carried out during the fortnight-long sporting extravaganza.
GMT 18:45 2018 Wednesday ,10 January
Chinese FA warns clubs over Aubameyang 'bidding war'GMT 19:28 2018 Tuesday ,09 January
Neymar, PSG run riot in French CupGMT 15:08 2018 Sunday ,07 January
Bayern's Heynckes rules out Vidal Chelsea moveGMT 14:59 2018 Sunday ,07 January
Napoli cement top spot as Lazio's Immobile hits fourGMT 16:04 2018 Tuesday ,02 January
Schedulers are against us, Arsenal manager Wenger complainsGMT 15:54 2018 Tuesday ,02 January
Manchester United lift Mourinho, Liverpool leave it lateGMT 19:04 2017 Sunday ,31 December
Lukaku adds to Mourinho's woes as United lose groundGMT 18:58 2017 Sunday ,31 December
Inter, Roma held as Benevento finally win
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor