
The Australian Rugby Union Wednesday relaxed eligibility rules to allow senior players at overseas clubs to represent the Wallabies after facing a mass exodus of stars following this year's World Cup.
A host of players such as Adam Ashley-Cooper, former skipper James Horwill, Will Genia and Sekope Kepu are due to leave Australia after the September-October World Cup in England for lucrative contracts.
New Zealand is facing a similar scenario, with at least 10 All Blacks so far announcing they are heading overseas at the end of the year, including Dan Carter, Ma'a Nonu and Conrad Smith.
Players based abroad are unable to represent their country.
In a major backflip, the ARU said the rules would be relaxed for players who have pulled on a Wallaby jersey more than 60 times and held a professional contract with Australian rugby for at least seven years.
ARU chief executive Bill Pulver said the amendment was an important strategic decision made in the best interests of the code.
"This is a pivotal moment for rugby in Australia, where for the first time in its professional history, the ARU will allow overseas-based players who have made a significant contribution to Australian rugby to become eligible for the Wallabies," he said.
"It's a decision that recognises the changing dynamics of a global rugby market for professional players."
Along with Ashley-Cooper, Horwill, and Genia, Toulon-based Matt Giteau, the reigning European player of the year, and his Heineken Cup-winning teammate Drew Mitchell will be among the biggest winners from the shift in policy.
Under the new plan, players heading back to Australia from overseas who make a two-year commitment to an Australian Super Rugby club will also be eligible to represent the Wallabies immediately upon their return.
- 'Important step' -
Wallabies coach Michael Cheika said greater competition for positions would inevitably lead to a stronger national team.
"It's important to first and foremost recognise those players who are currently making a daily contribution to rugby in Australia, but at the same time not discount those elite-level and experienced Test players who have already invested so much into the code over a long period," he said.
"From speaking with many of them, I know they still have a huge desire to represent Australia, and would do so to the very best of their abilities if ever called upon once again.
"In the end, we want the best players being rewarded for playing the majority of their career in Australia, and this is an important step to the future growth and success of the Wallabies."
Giteau told British media earlier this week that he retains a burning desire to play in the World Cup and that the ARU needed to change the rules.
"I miss the big games, the big atmospheres, but the rules are there for a reason," he told the London Times.
"They need changing, but if it was something the coaches were interested in, then I'd love to play for my country again."
The ARU climbdown came a week after Wallabies fly-half Bernard Foley signed a three-year contract extension, but only on the agreement that he be allowed to play two seasons with a Japanese club.
Under the deal, Foley, 25, is locked in with the NSW Waratahs until the end of 2018, meaning he will be eligible to continue playing for Australia. But with the ARU desperate to retain its younger stars as well, he will also be allowed to play in Japan's Top League.
Cheika said at the time that such flexible contracting would be treated on a case-by-case scenario.
Source: AFP
GMT 17:21 2018 Monday ,08 January
Play abandoned in South Africa v India TestGMT 17:18 2018 Monday ,08 January
Play abandoned in South Africa v India TestGMT 15:43 2018 Sunday ,07 January
Hackers already targeting Pyeongchang OlympicsGMT 15:38 2018 Sunday ,07 January
India's Pandya defies South African bowlersGMT 18:23 2018 Thursday ,04 January
Russian doping whistleblower free to pass evidence to FIFAGMT 12:08 2018 Thursday ,04 January
Pep Guardiola fears Man City stars in danger over fixture pile-upGMT 22:26 2018 Wednesday ,03 January
Mohamed Salah favorite to complete awards hat-trickGMT 16:12 2017 Tuesday ,26 December
Russian-Syrian basketball festival held at Damascus
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor