no trouble for nadal or djokovic in monaco opener
Last Updated : GMT 09:03:51
Almaghrib Today, almaghrib today
Almaghrib Today, almaghrib today
Last Updated : GMT 09:03:51
Almaghrib Today, almaghrib today

No trouble for Nadal or Djokovic in Monaco opener

Almaghrib Today, almaghrib today

Almaghrib Today, almaghrib today No trouble for Nadal or Djokovic in Monaco opener

Monte Carlo - Arabstoday

Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic booked their places in the third round of the Monte Carlo Masters on Wednesday as the pair each passed tough tests after recent physical setbacks. Nadal made a predictably successful return to his beloved clay on Wednesday, the Spanish third seed starting his quest for a ninth straight Monte Carlo Masters title with a 6-1, 6-2 defeat of Marinko Matosevic. Tournament number one Djokovic put his injured right ankle under major pressure but still came up with a 4-6, 6-1, 6-4 defeat of Russian Mikhail Youzhny. The Serb had waited until the last minute to make his decision on whether he could compete after rolling his ankle ten days ago. He spent two and a quarter hours on court, earning a late break for 5-4 in the decider as Youzhny missed a drop shot, before serving out the match. "I'm not at 100 per cent but this was still a very good win," said the top seed. Nadal was totally in his comfort zone on another sunny, warm day on the Mediterranean, demolishing the Australian in 62 minutes. He won the first seven points of the match, with Matosevic earning only two points in the first four games. The Spaniard ended with 15 winners, eight unforced errors and conversions on six of nine break point chances in the crowd-pleasing rout. "I played well with the right feelings and doing the right things, so I'm very happy," he said. "I had the right intensity, with no mistakes. "I was trying to find a good feeling on the ball, to find the right rhythm. And I think I did, no? That gives me confidence." Nadal's quick win marked a successful return to action after resting for three weeks in the wake of his Indian Wells title of last month. The 26-year-old is planning his schedule more carefully after missing seven months of play in 2012-2013 due to his chronic knee problems. But he will have little rest in the run-up to Roland Garros, with entries set for Barcelona plus the Madrid and Rome Masters over the next four weeks. Nadal, playing Monte Carlo for the 10th time, improved his phenomenal record here to 45-1, with his only loss coming to Guillermo Coria in 2003 as a teenager. The Spaniard owns the best career match record on clay in the post-1968 Open era with a 267-20 record and 38 clay titles from 43 finals on the surface. He said, though, that despite his enviable Monte Carlo run, he feels no extra pressure to win. "I feel that I am coming here trying to play well. As in every tournament, (I) try my best in every moment. "If that happens, if I'm able to play my best tennis, probably I will have my chance to be in a good position to play in the last rounds, to fight for important things." Matosevic had few chances in his first career match against a top five opponent. Nadal next plays German Philipp Kohlschreiber. Elsewhere in the second round, Czech fourth seed Tomas Berdych began his clay season with a defeat of Spain's Marcel Granollers 7-5, 6-4. "Always the first matches are kind of tough. If you get an opponent like Marcel, it is even tougher," said Berdych, who recovered from a break down in each set. "In the end, I felt quite good." Croatian ninth seed Marin Cilic put out South African Kevin Anderson 6-2, 6-3 while veteran Finn Jarkko Nieminen upset Canadian 12th seed Milos Raonic 6-3, 1-6, 7-6 (7/3). World number two Andy Murray makes his clay season bow later in the second round after. Source: AFP

almaghribtoday
almaghribtoday

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

no trouble for nadal or djokovic in monaco opener no trouble for nadal or djokovic in monaco opener

 



Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

no trouble for nadal or djokovic in monaco opener no trouble for nadal or djokovic in monaco opener

 



Almaghrib Today, almaghrib today Skincare PR Performance Full Year 2017

GMT 09:22 2018 Monday ,22 January

Skincare PR Performance Full Year 2017
Almaghrib Today, almaghrib today New hunt for flight MH370 gets under way

GMT 11:03 2018 Wednesday ,24 January

New hunt for flight MH370 gets under way
Almaghrib Today, almaghrib today Modern colorful bedroom renovation

GMT 10:57 2017 Thursday ,21 December

Modern colorful bedroom renovation
Almaghrib Today, almaghrib today Puigdemont candidate for Catalan president

GMT 13:56 2018 Tuesday ,23 January

Puigdemont candidate for Catalan president
Almaghrib Today, almaghrib today Turkey detains dozens more

GMT 10:47 2018 Wednesday ,24 January

Turkey detains dozens more

GMT 10:20 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon ten

GMT 10:18 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon seven

GMT 09:56 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon one

GMT 10:22 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon thirteen

GMT 10:19 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon nine

GMT 10:17 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon six

GMT 09:58 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon three

GMT 10:24 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon fifteen

GMT 10:16 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon five

GMT 10:21 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon eleven

GMT 10:22 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon twelve

GMT 10:23 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon fourteen

GMT 10:18 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon eight

GMT 09:58 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon four

GMT 06:05 2017 Monday ,16 October

Infograph four

GMT 22:27 2017 Monday ,24 July

William and Harry had 'short' chat with Diana

GMT 16:40 2017 Saturday ,25 November

May urges EU to 'step forward' with UK
Almaghrib Today, almaghrib today
 
 Almaghrib Today Facebook,almaghrib today facebook  Almaghrib Today Twitter,almaghrib today twitter Almaghrib Today Rss,almaghrib today rss  Almaghrib Today Youtube,almaghrib today youtube  Almaghrib Today Youtube,almaghrib today youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

.almaghribtoday .almaghribtoday .almaghribtoday .almaghribtoday
almaghribtoday almaghribtoday almaghribtoday
almaghribtoday
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
almaghribtoday, Almaghribtoday, Almaghribtoday