Ireland great Brian O'Driscoll was given a three-week ban on Wednesday for stamping on Italy's Simone Favaro during their Six Nations clash in Rome. As a result, the 34-year-old ex-Ireland captain is now set to miss Leinster's European Challenge Cup quarter-final against English club Wasps on April 5. However, the veteran centre, who was suspended by a disciplinary hearing in London until April 8, does have the right of appeal. The hearing said O'Driscoll's offence was in the mid-range, five-week, level of seriousness but added they were deducting two weeks from that punishment on account of his previously "exemplary" record. O'Driscoll was sent to the sin-bin for only the second time in his career by referee Wayne Barnes after he was spotted stamping on the chest of flanker Favaro during a 22-15 defeat by Italy on Saturday which rounded off a poor Six Nations campaign for Ireland. If, as has been speculated, it was O'Driscoll's 125th and final match for Ireland before retirement, which could be preceded by his selection for a fourth British and Irish Lions tour when the party for Australia is announced next month, it was a desperate way for him to bow out in the green jersey. However, the yellow card -- which could have been red -- was not the end of the matter, with citing commissioner Aurwel Morgan deciding the incident required further scrutiny. At Wednesday's hearing, O'Driscoll accepted he'd committed an act of foul play but denied he should have been sent off. However, a three-man panel chaired by Wales's Robert Williams, assisted by England's Mike Hamlin and John Doubleday, said the midfielder should have seen red at Rome's Olympic Stadium as they upheld the citing complaint. Explaining their decision to ban O'Driscoll for three weeks, the panel said in a Six Nations statement: "In applying the sanction, the disciplinary committee considered that the stamp, contrary to Law 10.4(b), was in the mid-range of the IRB's (International Rugby Board's) sanctions for the type of offence and after hearing from Brian O'Driscoll and his representatives, allowed a reduction of two weeks of mitigation, particularly taking into account the player's exemplary previous playing and disciplinary record." From: AFP
GMT 17:21 2018 Monday ,08 January
Play abandoned in South Africa v India TestGMT 17:18 2018 Monday ,08 January
Play abandoned in South Africa v India TestGMT 15:43 2018 Sunday ,07 January
Hackers already targeting Pyeongchang OlympicsGMT 15:38 2018 Sunday ,07 January
India's Pandya defies South African bowlersGMT 18:23 2018 Thursday ,04 January
Russian doping whistleblower free to pass evidence to FIFAGMT 12:08 2018 Thursday ,04 January
Pep Guardiola fears Man City stars in danger over fixture pile-upGMT 22:26 2018 Wednesday ,03 January
Mohamed Salah favorite to complete awards hat-trickGMT 16:12 2017 Tuesday ,26 December
Russian-Syrian basketball festival held at Damascus
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor