Former England captain John Terry on Thursday attended the fourth day of his Football Association disciplinary hearing into racism charges, amid speculation that a decision in the case could be imminent. The 31-year-old Chelsea skipper arrived at the FA's Wembley Stadium headquarters in north London shortly before 9:00 am local time (0800GMT) and left about three hours later. Neither Terry, who has always denied racially abusing fellow defender Anton Ferdinand of Queen's Park Rangers, nor his legal team made any public comment after the closed-door hearing. The player was cleared of racially abusing Ferdinand in a criminal case last July. If found guilty by a governing body panel, Terry has 14 days from receiving the written reasons for the decision to lodge an appeal. No ban from playing matches -- a likely punishment if the FA find against Terry -- will come into force until the appeals procedure is complete. Terry dramatically announced his retirement from international football on Sunday, the day before the hearing started. He effectively accused the FA of forcing his hand after the governing body pressed on with charges relating to the alleged incident during a match between Chelsea and QPR in October last year. "I feel the FA, in pursuing charges against me where I have already been cleared in a court of law, have made my position with the national team untenable," he said in a statement. Terry had hoped his courtroom acquittal would be the end of the matter, as the FA's rule book states that the result of any previous legal action concerning the same matter will be "presumed to be correct". He admitted in court that he used racist language against Ferdinand but said he was merely repeating what he believed Ferdinand had accused him of saying. Last season, the independent panel who gave Liverpool striker Luis Suarez an eight-match ban for racially abusing Manchester United defender Patrice Evra said just using racist language was enough to constitute a breach of FA rules. Despite the controversy surrounding Terry, capped 78 times by his country, England manager Roy Hodgson selected him for this year's European Championships in Poland and the Ukraine and left out his long-time international central defensive partner Rio Ferdinand, Anton's older brother.
GMT 18:30 2017 Tuesday ,26 December
FIFA trial: New York jury acquits former Peru soccer bossGMT 13:18 2017 Tuesday ,26 December
Early drama as Sydney to Hobart fleet race to break recordGMT 20:25 2017 Monday ,25 December
Klopp urges Liverpool to focus on Euro ambitionsGMT 18:35 2017 Monday ,25 December
Mutko suspends Russian football role to fight Olympic lifetime banGMT 10:11 2017 Monday ,25 December
Federer, Nadal shine as rivals hobble into 2018GMT 19:22 2017 Sunday ,24 December
Southampton's Austin charged with violent conductGMT 18:02 2017 Sunday ,24 December
'Tongan Bear' Uhila extends Clermont contractGMT 17:07 2017 Sunday ,24 December
Serena Williams to make competitive return in Abu Dhabi next week
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor