
Workers at India's top carmaker Maruti Suzuki returned to work on Saturday after ending the latest in a string of strikes that have cost the Japanese-owned firm hundreds of millions of dollars. The 13-day stoppage at the Maruti plant, owned by Suzuki Motor Corp, was called off Friday following an agreement between employees and the company. "The workers are back on the job, there is a full shift working at the Manesar plant," a Maruti spokesman told AFP. Maruti has the largest market share of cars sold in India. But in recent months it has seen a sharp fall in output due to a series of labour disputes at the Manesar facility -- to the advantage of rivals such as Toyota. The stoppages have cost the firm at least 19.50 billion rupees ($400 million) in lost production since June, the company says. The unrest followed management refusals to recognise a new union as well as claims of sabotage on the production line and attacks on supervisors. Earlier this month, Maruti was forced to call in police to evict 1,500 workers who had taken over the Manesar factory, which is located in the northern Indian state of Haryana. Manesar, which employs 2,000 workers, normally produces up to 1,200 of Maruti's top-selling Swift and A-Star hatchbacks and SX4 sedans daily. Fast-growing India is critical to the Japanese firm's fortunes because it is the company's biggest foreign market. "Our first aim is to normalise production quickly because we need to meet customer orders," the Maruti spokesman said, adding that there was a backlog of more than 100,000 orders for the Swift.
GMT 15:26 2017 Friday ,22 December
VW sacks executive jailed over 'dieselgate': reportGMT 12:54 2017 Friday ,22 December
Baidu accuses former exec of stealing self-driving car technologyGMT 17:41 2017 Wednesday ,06 December
UK car sales extend slump: industry bodyGMT 14:49 2017 Sunday ,19 November
US rejects Ford petition to delay recall of 3m vehiclesGMT 19:06 2017 Wednesday ,08 November
BMW revs research spending higher, profits fishtailGMT 10:33 2017 Tuesday ,24 October
Singapore to freeze number of cars on its roadsGMT 13:26 2017 Tuesday ,17 October
Tesla sacks hundreds of workers on Model 3 stall: sourceGMT 21:18 2017 Saturday ,07 October
Tesla delays big rig truck debut; Model 3 in ‘production hell’
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor