
Luxury German carmaker Mercedes-Benz said on Friday it had achieved record sales in 2012, driven by accelerating growth in China and the United States. About 1.3 million Mercedes-Benz cars were purchased in 2012, the firm said in its annual sales release, a gain of 4.7 percent on the previous year. With 274,134 cars sold in the United States (a gain of 11.8 percent), this overtook Germany (261,084 cars sold) as Mercedes-Benz's main sales market. Nearly 200,000 Mercedes were sold in China, a gain of 1.5 percent, the firm added. "We are very pleased with our sales for the full year 2012," said Dieter Zetsche, chief executive of automaker Daimler, which owns Mercedes-Benz. "Despite the difficult market environment in the southern European countries and numerous model change-overs, we managed to exceed the previous year's sale record," added Zetsche. However, the wider Daimler company has suffered from a difficult environment for the auto industry and was forced to cut its full-year forecasts in October after a disappointing third quarter. Daimler said it was hoping to cut some 2.0 billion euros ($2.6 billion) in costs by 2014. Official data published on Thursday showed that new car registrations in Germany fell by nearly three percent last year. About 3.10 million new cars were registered in 2012, down from 3.17 million in 2011, the auto industry federation VDA said in its annual report. It said the sector had suffered a particularly sharp decline in December, of 16 percent.
GMT 15:26 2017 Friday ,22 December
VW sacks executive jailed over 'dieselgate': reportGMT 12:54 2017 Friday ,22 December
Baidu accuses former exec of stealing self-driving car technologyGMT 17:41 2017 Wednesday ,06 December
UK car sales extend slump: industry bodyGMT 14:49 2017 Sunday ,19 November
US rejects Ford petition to delay recall of 3m vehiclesGMT 19:06 2017 Wednesday ,08 November
BMW revs research spending higher, profits fishtailGMT 10:33 2017 Tuesday ,24 October
Singapore to freeze number of cars on its roadsGMT 13:26 2017 Tuesday ,17 October
Tesla sacks hundreds of workers on Model 3 stall: sourceGMT 21:18 2017 Saturday ,07 October
Tesla delays big rig truck debut; Model 3 in ‘production hell’
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor