
Suzuki has pulled out of MotoGP because of economic problems but may return in 2014, the Japanese manufacturer confirmed. "This suspension is to cope with tough circumstances mainly caused by the prolonged recession in developed countries, a historical depreciation of Japanese yen and repeated natural disasters," the motor company said. "Having an eye to returning to MotoGP in 2014, Suzuki will now focus on developing a competitive new racing machine for that class," it said in a statement posted on the official MotoGP website on Friday. Japanese motor companies, along with other manufacturers, have been hit by a shutdown or cutdown in production following the March earthquake-tsunami which devastated Japan's northeast, and floods in Thailand have disrupted the global supply chain. Rizla Suzuki team manager Paul Denning, who had tried to encourage the company to continue racing in MotoGP, said on Twitter: "It's now -- very sadly -- official. Suzuki is out of MGP for 2012/13." "I'm sorry for all the guys on the team, our partners, friends and fans," he said. "Really thought we'd pulled it together -- silver lining is that Suzuki has expressed its clear intention to come back in 2014. Thanks to all." Suzuki said it would "continue motocross racing activity and support of road racing activities using mass-produced motorcycles, by obtaining FIM (International Motorcycling Federation) homologation and co-operation with the supplier of its development racing kit parts." The company had been expected to quit MotoGP, the world's premier motorcycling racing, having already lost its only MotoGP rider, Alvaro Bautista, to Gresini Honda for next season. The Spaniard, who turns 27 on Monday, finished the 2011 season in 13th place. The works Rizla Suzuki team had tested former Ducati rider Randy de Puniet of France at Valencia last week. Suzuki did not join Honda, Ducati and Yamaha in public tests on 1000cc bikes for next season, fuelling speculation that a withdrawal was imminent. Suzuki last won a MotoGP race in 2007 when Australian Chris Vermeulen took the French Grand Prix. It produced five world champions since entering a works team in the premier world championship, then 500cc, for the first time in 1974. They were Barry Sheene (1976, 1977), Marco Lucchinelli (1981), Franco Uncini (1982), Kevin Schwantz (1993) and Kenny Roberts Jr. (2000) Suzuki previously had a break from the premier tour for three years before returning in 1987.
GMT 15:26 2017 Friday ,22 December
VW sacks executive jailed over 'dieselgate': reportGMT 12:54 2017 Friday ,22 December
Baidu accuses former exec of stealing self-driving car technologyGMT 17:41 2017 Wednesday ,06 December
UK car sales extend slump: industry bodyGMT 14:49 2017 Sunday ,19 November
US rejects Ford petition to delay recall of 3m vehiclesGMT 19:06 2017 Wednesday ,08 November
BMW revs research spending higher, profits fishtailGMT 10:33 2017 Tuesday ,24 October
Singapore to freeze number of cars on its roadsGMT 13:26 2017 Tuesday ,17 October
Tesla sacks hundreds of workers on Model 3 stall: sourceGMT 21:18 2017 Saturday ,07 October
Tesla delays big rig truck debut; Model 3 in ‘production hell’
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor