Etihad Airways, Abu Dhabi’s flagship carrier, is aiming to step into the void when route cuts in Australian airline Qantas’ international operations take effect, CEO James Hogan has said. Qantas is expected to axe its money-losing routes to Los Angeles and New York as it struggles to overhaul its international routes and stem losses of around AUD$200m ($208m). Industry rumours also suggest routes to Buenos Aires, Honolulu and Mumbai may be cut, while no-frills subsidiary Jetstar may take over operation of some US and European flights. ''They [Qantas] don't have the network they had of 15 years ago,'' Etihad CEO James Hogan, told The Age newspaper during a visit to Australia last week. ''As Qantas starts restructuring their network, it presents even further opportunities for us to strengthen our foothold in the market. If they [Qantas] do dilute or marginalise their international flying that's a great opportunity for us … and we're happy to fill the gap.'' Qantas has refused to divulge details of its strategic review ahead of an announcement on August 24.Etihad, one of the Gulf’s largest airlines, has rolled out ambitious expansion plans in a bid to increase its share of lucrative long-haul traffic. The carrier last month rolled out nationwide marketing campaign in Australia, urging travellers to “change to the best”. It follows a tie-up with the country's number two airline Virgin Blue which was given the green light by Australia's competition watchdog in February. Speaking during a lecture at Lowy Institute for International Policy in Sydney last week, Hogan said aviation was the “absolute lifeblood” of the UAE’s future economic prospects. "Because of this, the emirates and their airlines are deadly serious about success in this sector,” he said. Etihad Airways said last week it has seen no softening in passenger numbers since Europe's debt crisis and US economic problems hit global markets and expects to break even this year. Hogan said Etihad still expected to break even in 2011 and said he had seen no evidence fewer people were flying in recent weeks amid fears about another global economic downturn."We have not seen a slowdown," Hogan said. "Our European traffic is strong ... our traffic out of markets like the Philippines, Indonesia, and Malaysia coming up the Gulf is very strong as is our North American business." Etihad has a fleet of 57 Airbus and Boeing aircraft, and 100 aircraft on order, including 10 Airbus A380s.In July, Etihad posted a 28 percent rise in revenue to $1.72bn for six months to June 30. Passenger numbers rose 14 percent to 3.8 million. From / Arabian Business News
GMT 18:11 2017 Wednesday ,27 December
Foreign tourist numbers up 23% in Tunisia in 2017GMT 18:14 2017 Monday ,25 December
Riyadh tourism events attract over 200,000 visitors in 2017GMT 10:29 2017 Monday ,25 December
Abu Dhabi welcomes 443,000 hotel guests to record 16 percent rise during NovemberGMT 09:57 2017 Sunday ,24 December
World's largest amphibious aircraft takes off in ChinaGMT 18:03 2017 Saturday ,23 December
Four bidders vie for Austria's bankrupt Niki airlineGMT 11:08 2017 Friday ,22 December
First Ryanair strike sees delays, but no cancellations in GermanyGMT 18:06 2017 Saturday ,16 December
Israel strike to stop flights at Ben Gurion airportGMT 17:35 2017 Thursday ,14 December
TUI says new direction paying off despite profit slump
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor